Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > My bottles just won't carb...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigafoos View Post
I'll also try agitating them some (tell them their parents' divorce was their fault, etc).
You could torture them a little and keep a calendar next to them as a reminder as to their drinking date. Tell them if they behave, you'll make a painless drinkage, or if they are naughty and don't carb, you will make it a slow painful torturous experience for them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had every damn bottle carbing problem under the sun. I doubt that your problem is entirely due to scalding the yeast. After the initial shock, the dilution in the beer would have brought the temp down to a reasonable (non-yeast-killing) temp within the first 1/5th of the beer being racked. The rest of the yeast, then, would be fine.

I've found that adding some rehydrated dry yeast at bottling really helps as an insurance policy. I'd also get your bottles warmer than 65ºf...use a space heater (that's what I do) if you have one.

Lastly, I've saved a few batches by opening up the cases once a day for a week and shaking each bottle so as to rouse any yeast that have decided to flocculate. This took my Destroyer of Worlds IIPA from flat to perfectly carbonated in about a week's time. I highly recommend this for any non-carbing or under-carbing batches.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
Sigafoos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks everyone, I'll be trying some combination of this tonight. I do have an extra closet, but it's got silly things like my wife's wedding dress in it so I'm thinking a space heater might be problematic. I do have plenty of extra blankets though, and the bottles are in thick cardboard boxes, so I'll see if I can think of a way to heat them up.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice

Old 05-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
tranceamerica
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=Evan!;684100]I've had every damn bottle carbing problem under the sun. I doubt that your problem is entirely due to scalding the yeast. After the initial shock, the dilution in the beer would have brought the temp down to a reasonable (non-yeast-killing) temp within the first 1/5th of the beer being racked. The rest of the yeast, then, would be fine.
[QUOTE]

+1 on this. I never cool the priming solution & everthing is usually fine.

Primary: beer, mead, cider

Drinking: beer, mead, cider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
...except for this d@mned tail I am fine.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #15
Skeeter's Roadhoouse
Recipes 

i'm eaves dropping here, trying to figure out why my last several batches have been flat. not all, but most of the bottles. i've had years of great brewing experinces, never a flat one. all the sudden,no head, got me quite frustrated. anyway, maybe the time thing, but some have set a month or more and are flat. but some have set in fridge after 2 or 3 weeks, so could be temp, bottles are stored in warm area prior to that. no issue with sugar, use 5oz, boil and cool before adding to wert. real carefull about sanitation and all, no contaminations. even tried the "give it a twirl" thing, to no avail. I'm thinking maybe didn't give it enough "warm time" to cure, do you think perhaps i should remove bottles from fridge and let them set awhile longer in 70ish area?

Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Definitely. Don't chill them until they are fully carbed- you'll be the yeast to sleep when you chill them. 70 degrees for three to four weeks is best, usually.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #17
Skeeter's Roadhoouse
Recipes 

okay, so i screwed up with that, figured maybe. you said put the yeast to sleep, so i'm assuming i didn't "kill" it, anyway, do you think it will work out if i 'unchill' them and wait another 3 or so weeks?

Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Yes. Take them out of the fridge, and then swirl the bottles around to resuspend the dormant yeast.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
Skeeter's Roadhoouse
Recipes 

okay gonna try that. thanks and i'll let ya know in about 3 weeks if it worked!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 AM   #20
Maine Homebrewer
Recipes 

As other posters have said, temperature is everything.

If your used the proper amount of priming sugar and your bottles were not toxic to the yeast (unrinsed bleach for example), and your OG wasn't more than the yeast can handle, then the only variable left is temperature.

However from what you said about the cider you might be drowning the yeast in its own piss. After all, ale yeast will only tolerate alcohol between 8 and 12 percent, depending on the strain. Currently I've got an IPA that is having problems because I made a change to my procedure that gave me a much higher yield from the grain than I expected, and as a result the yeast isn't acting as expected.

Keep your temps above 68, closer to 72 if possible when conditioning, and be aware that your yeast will die if you expect too much from it.

Quick Reply