New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > My bottle cleaning technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2005, 04:19 PM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingnut
I keep sugar around TO attack bugs...nasty bugs...

You would.......

Hey, I was on a business trip to and Dover and Parsipanny this past week.
My trip was cut short so I came back a day early.

I was planning on visiting with cousins in Cherry Hill this weekend, but because I left Jersey on Thurs that didn't happen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
D-brewmeister

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Star san no rinse bottling

I would assume that soaking in bleach solution, without a rinse step, would endanger the yeast you need for bottle conditioning. But what about Star San acid sanitizer. It is no-rinse for most aplications (fermenters, racking tubes etc), so would it work to just soak and drain bottles in a properly diluted solution of Star san, then bottle right into them (even if still wet)?

Guid ale keeps my heart aboon!
-- Robert Burns

Old 02-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Oh, I agree with you on the bleach ruining the beer.

Don't get me wrong...I rinse the bleach off with very hot water and place them on the drying rack just prior to using.

This technique also allows me to look at all of my bottles/cases and determine which ones are already sanitized and which ones aren't. It takes the guess work out.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:58 AM   #14
smorris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not a fan of bleach for sanitizing, too many possible chemical reactions that can ruin a batch of beer.

I fill the bottling bucket with 3 gallons of iodophor and fill the bottles in there (after rinsing) and let them soak about 5 minutes, I can typically get 6 bottles in the bucket at a time. The pour them out down the inside wall of the bucket from the very top to wash the sides down. When done I dump the iodophor and mix up another gallon just for the bucket. There is nothing left alive.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:28 AM   #15
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I use several TBSs of bleach in the sink in my brewing kitchen in the basement. It is a 10 gal (plastic) sink that is deep and holds 2 cases of 16 oz bottles at a time (or one bucket).

If I am sanitizing for usage right away I will drain and rinse then set them on the drying tree.

I take pretty good notes of my brews and ALWAYS take extra care when sanitizing. I've never had any problems with any of my batches. I don't consider myself lucky here, I just do as is required and take no shortcuts.

I do use 1-Step every once in a while, but even a little bit of bleach diluted with water sanitizes on contact.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:44 AM   #16
bearcatalumni
Recipes 

Default So what about Star San?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-brewmeister
I would assume that soaking in bleach solution, without a rinse step, would endanger the yeast you need for bottle conditioning. But what about Star San acid sanitizer. It is no-rinse for most aplications (fermenters, racking tubes etc), so would it work to just soak and drain bottles in a properly diluted solution of Star san, then bottle right into them (even if still wet)?
Hey everyone. This is my first post and I'm a newbie myself (3 batches).

This seems like one area that everyone does something different. The guys at my HBS swear on Star San. So I fill a big plastic Rubbermaid tub with 5 gallons water and 1 oz. Star San. I put about 24 bottles in at a time to soak for 5 min right before I bottle. Then I just pull them out, line them up and fill. No rinsing and I was told not to even worry if the bottles still have some bubbles from the Star San.

Seems to work so far but I end up using alot of Star San after I use it for the fermenter, carboy, bottles, etc. And Star San is kinda expensive.

So is Star San overkill?

Old 03-28-2005, 07:34 PM   #17
Swervo Maneuver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's another question:

My homebrew shop sells a sanitizer called Easy Clean (No-Rinse Cleaner)
The label sez it cleans with Oxygen, and contains: Percarbonates.

So's I look at the label of oxy-clean I just got to get labels off my bottles (works very very well) and see that it contains: sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate.

Same stuff? Seems so. Anybody use oxy clean as a sanitizer? Stuff is affordable.

3. coat in Toxic Radioactive Armor
You're all set!

Old 03-29-2005, 12:21 AM   #18
Kephren

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervo Maneuver
Here's another question:

My homebrew shop sells a sanitizer called Easy Clean (No-Rinse Cleaner)
The label sez it cleans with Oxygen, and contains: Percarbonates.

So's I look at the label of oxy-clean I just got to get labels off my bottles (works very very well) and see that it contains: sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate.

Same stuff? Seems so. Anybody use oxy clean as a sanitizer? Stuff is affordable.
According to http://www.greatcleaners.com/ogi_retail/images/products/M51515.pdf Oxiclean is a "White granular mixture; forms oxygen, hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when mixed with water."

So it sounds like it would disinfect. But I don't know what else is mixed in there (fabric softeners?). I would just stick with iodophor. 12 ounces will cost about $8 and last quite a while. You can mix up 5 gallons with 2 teaspoonfuls and sanitize everything you will use. There is no need to rinse since it's such a small concentration, and hospitals use it, so it must be good.

Quick Reply