Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > mud jugs anyone?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Thor the Mighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default mud jugs anyone?!

ok i ocured to me that mississippi mud jugs are like perfect for home brewing simply because with the swipe of a knife its de-labled, and second of all because the top is resealable. anyone have luck with this practice?

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You mean these?

Nah, I doubt they'd work in the same way a growler wouldn't work for bottling beer in. See the thread linked for an explanation why.... It would be cool...now if you were keg carbing first, then using them, they probably would work, since the pressure is less...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=65717

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 05-16-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I grab them if I see them in the back of the beer store. I have the same idea that they could be useful for growlers when I go to kegging, and want to take a sample to someone's house. They are cute!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I grab them if I see them in the back of the beer store. I have the same idea that they could be useful for growlers when I go to kegging, and want to take a sample to someone's house. They are cute!

Honestly until Thor posted this, I didn't think they were still made anymore. I haven't had it in a couple years, but if I recall correctly, as a beer, they didn't suck too bad.

And the jugs are cute...They'd be good for making small yeast starters too.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Impetuous Brewer
Recipes 

I have bottle conditioned in metal top growlers (Rogue) a couple of times. Never a single problem, people seem to rant about this being a terrible idea for some reason. Just try a few and put them in a bag under the sink and see what happens. Worst case scenario is lid pops off and you throw them away, I do not see them as more dangerous than a normal bottle, with regard to "grenades". Homebrewing is all about experimentation, so experiment.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous Brewer View Post
Worst case scenario is lid pops off and you throw them away, I do not see them as more dangerous than a normal bottle, with regard to "grenades". Homebrewing is all about experimentation, so experiment.
As has been mentioned, growlers are not pressure vessels. Beer bottles are.

I can imagine a scenario where your growler is conditioning away under the sink, and you decide it's ready to go to the fridge so you can drink it later. You open up the bag, and when you touch the growler that's just enough for the built-up pressure to conspire with some tiny imperfection in the glass, and send shards of glass flying towards your eyes (unless you're lucky enough that the flesh of your hands and forearms happens to absorb them all).

"Lid pops off" is not the worst case scenario. And I have yet to hear any reasonable upside for conditioning beer in a growler that would make me want to try this "experiment".

Old 05-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you've ever seen a bottle bomb, the lid never pops off. The bottom and/or sides explode. Glass shards everywhere.

Impetuous Brewer indeed.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i see what you did there

You finally made it home! Draped in the flag that you fell for. And so it goes, the ashes of the wake!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok double post, but how does it make any sense that it cant hold pressure if the beer is obviously carbonated?!?!?!?! just personally i think it makes sense that you can rack it to mud jugs.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Based on their use in commercial brewing, Mud jugs will probably work. However, I don't really like the word, probably, when it comes to my brew. Simple growlers, on the other hand, are a TERRIBLE idea.

Quick Reply