*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Mounting tap handles through door of Danby 4.4cf fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
wascostreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mounting tap handles through door of Danby 4.4cf fridge

I've got the Danby 4.4 that I've been using as a kegerator for a while now using picnic taps in the fridge but it's time to put on some tap handles. I have a small apartment and the only place the fridge can fit is under a shelf, so a tower is right out. I want to put two tap handles on the door of the fridge, but the surface is slightly curved so a flush mount is not possible without modification.

Has anyone here ever done this? I did some searching for Danby fridge mods but didn't see anything that solved this particular problem. I have some ideas but nothing that seems ideal.

I've removed the door panel from the inside of the fridge and installed a sheet of acrylic so there's a solid backing from the inside. Other than that it's mostly stock. I'm using 2.5 and 3 gal cornies with an external C02 tank, btw.

Another problem I foresee is the danger of knocking open or snagging on the handles and spraying beer all over my living room floor. I've had it happen when a cobra tap got stuck open inside the fridge and the results were not pretty! Is there any way to positively lock the taps closed?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Probably the easiest thing to do is use some two-part epoxy as filler between the door curve and the tap flange.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Should be easy enough...

1) Cover a section of the door with masking tape maybe 10" x 18" (This is so you don't scratch the door paint if you run off the paper in step 3)
2) Stick some adhesive sandpaper on the door
3) Rub the flange on the sandpaper until it matches the door's profile

Just be sure you don't rotate the flange. Maybe make an "Up" mark with tape so you end up with a smooth, concave flange that matches your door.

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
wascostreet
Recipes 

That sandpaper idea sounds like the ticket. Thanks!!

Quick Reply