Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > mounting fan to keezer lid...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default mounting fan to keezer lid...

Any reason not to do this? Would pushing warm air down just bring the cool air up?

I had my two twelve volt computer fans on the bottom of the keezer, but as I'm filling it up with kegs I now lack the room.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It would be far more efficient to bring the cold air up so it has to fall again. It works for something like a ceiling fan but also has a lot more surface area to push the air. Not sure if a PC fan would be big enough to create the draft you want.

I'm getting an in-line bilge fan and putting it in mine with a bit of ducting to bring the cold air up. They are pretty cheap though then you have to deal with getting them power. If you are already thinking of putting in a computer fan though you should be able to deal with that.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 08-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've looked at those inline bilge fans. My concern is that they could generate heat.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Yeah I'm worried about that too but this is all trial and error fun for me anyway.

I figure on wiring it in behind the thermostat so it only runs when the compressor is on.

| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Merlin-CO
Recipes 

If your fan moves enough CFMs then a lid mount isn't a big deal. Since the keezer is a 'closed' system you'll be forcing the air down to mix into a consistent temperature and not just moving the cold out of the way. Mine is mounted on the lid and it works great to keep the whole inside at the same temp and not just cold at the bottom (which also helps keep the beer lines the same temp as the beer).

Just be sure you have the spacers between the fan and the lid so it can create a bit of a circulation cycle. I leave mine on all the time, but I could easily wire it into the temp controller, but since the fan draws such little power I just leave it on.

Beer - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine. ~ anonymous

Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
TomSD
Da Geek

Recipes 

Good to know... thanks Merlin. My worry was it wouldn't move enough air.

Quick Reply