Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > More Kegging Questions - Storing uncarbonated brew in a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
CowboyShootist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default More Kegging Questions - Storing uncarbonated brew in a keg

Greetings,

I have a question about kegging. If you were to make say a 10 gal batch and you have 2 Corny kegs can you put the finished beer, uncarbonated, into the second keg and will it keep? Should you go ahead and use priming sugar in the second keg in order to carbonate the brew or can it sit there uncarbonated until such time as you are ready to drink and then force carbonate at that time?

What's the prevailing wisdom?

Last edited by CowboyShootist; 03-31-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyShootist View Post
Greetings,

I have a question about kegging. If you were to make say a 10 gal batch and you have 2 Corny kegs can you put the finished beer, uncarbonated, into the second keg and will it keep? Should you go ahead and use priming sugar in the second keg in order to carbonate the brew or can it sit there uncarbonated until such time as you are ready to drink and then force carbonate at that time?

What's the prevailing wisdom?
You do all of the above. You can just give it a shot of co2 to seat the lid, and make sure there aren't any leaks, and then save it until there's a space in the kegerator. You can prime, or you can force carb. It doesn't matter at all, except the primed beer might have more sediment.

If you do prime, make sure you pull the pressure release valve before putting it on the gas to serve, just to ensure you don't have any back flow from the keg.

I don't prime in the keg any more, since force carbing is so quick and easy, but I've done it before without any issues.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm with Yoop on the giving it a shot of CO2, making sure it's sealed and not leaking anywhere else, like the PRV, but make sure you release the PRV a few times while it is on the CO2, to purge any air from the top of the corny.

Let the internal pressure stabilize, by listening to when CO2 has stopped entering the keg, close the gas shut off valve and remove from the CO2 Q.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Quick Reply