Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Monkey Wards Chest Freezer to Keezer Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #21
nathan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

get out some white silicon sealant and go to town putting it into the grooves and bumps with your finger and smoothing it out. Then paint over it. Viola, much smoother joints!

I have a built-in bookshelf that I couldn't afford higher quality lumber for. With silicon, wood putty, and some time, I made 1x spruce look like hardwood. You have to paint it, of course, but it's much nicer looking. Caulk is your friend.

Awesome build, though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #22
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerStreetBeers
There is also the chance that coolant lines may run through the sides -- this varies from model to model -- if you hit one of those it's basically all over.

Much more than a chance:

If you drill, refrigerant will spill! Don't men to sound cryptic, but the chilling and evaporative lines are averywhere in those walls.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 AM   #23
phat_groom
Recipes 

Default WOW! Great project!

First off, thanks for showing all of the steps in your process - it has really helped me in prepping for my own project.

One thing is not clear to me though - did you use ONLY the caulking / silicon to attach and seal the collar to the freezer? No screws / glue / anything else at all?

I realize the danger of piercing the outer shell of the freezer due to the lines that may run below the skin, but isn't the caulk / silicone kind of flimsy to hold the whole collar on? I ask because I really want to emulate what you have done so far - that's just awesome - but I don't want to have to recaulk in 6 months if not necessary, nor do I want to worry about someone bumping into the keezer and breaking the silicone seal.

Thanks!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #24
BakerStreetBeers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat_groom
First off, thanks for showing all of the steps in your process - it has really helped me in prepping for my own project.

One thing is not clear to me though - did you use ONLY the caulking / silicon to attach and seal the collar to the freezer? No screws / glue / anything else at all?

I realize the danger of piercing the outer shell of the freezer due to the lines that may run below the skin, but isn't the caulk / silicone kind of flimsy to hold the whole collar on? I ask because I really want to emulate what you have done so far - that's just awesome - but I don't want to have to recaulk in 6 months if not necessary, nor do I want to worry about someone bumping into the keezer and breaking the silicone seal.

Thanks!!!
Only silicone sealant. I see how it could seems a little unstable, but having read quite a bit myself on this site about other projects, this is apparently the way things are done. It is quite sturdy. The outside of the collar is 1 x 10, but it's doubled up in many places, including the connection with the freezer rim. I used quite a bit of silicone in the join, a thick zigzag around the whole thing. Then, as nathan suggests, I did beads of the sealant along every seam and corner on the inside. It would definitely take a huge bump to dislodge it -- think defensive lineman hitting a tackling dummy. I put the whole thing onto a piece of plywood with casters on it and would definitely be comfortable grabbing the collar to roll the thing around.

The only further steps I have planned are to put some moulding around the bottom -- attached to the plywood base -- so that it looks like it's sitting on the floor instead of on a piece of plywood with wheels. I may also put some more moulding on the corners and possibly horizontally along the seam between the collar and the freezer body and the collar and the lid -- to hide my questionable carpentry.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I did not originally plan on having a five tap setup. I wanted to get something with at least three or that would be expandable to three at some point. I spent weeks scouring craigslist for a used kegerator that fit the bill, but no luck When it finally got to the point where I had two batches that needed to be put up, I opted for the buildout. When I picked up the used freezer I was still thinking only three taps and room for lagering and chilling, but then I realized that with a tall collar I could get five cornies in there and that was that.
On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman

Quick Reply