The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Molasses as priming sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
KYchemBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Molasses as priming sugar?

I saw in a book about using molasses or brown sugar as a priming sugar for bottling. I've just used prepacked priming sugar before.

Any advice on this?
I have an American Stout (1.074 OG and 2oz Willamette at 0min boil) on day 2 in the primary so lots of time to decide.

Thanks for your input!
Mark.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
meadmazer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

A cup should do a reasonable job for 5 gallons, but it is hard to get an exact equivalent to sugar, depends on brand, type, etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadmazer View Post
A cup should do a reasonable job for 5 gallons, but it is hard to get an exact equivalent to sugar, depends on brand, type, etc.
no it isn't - use a priming calculator like http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

once you've got your amount, be sure to boil it quickly to sterilize it before adding it to your bottling bucket.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Go by weight (use a scale) rather than volume (measuring cup). I use about an 1oz. per gallon. Often mix with dark brown sugar and molasses. Gives a nice finish to your sips.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
KYchemBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
no it isn't - use a priming calculator like http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

once you've got your amount, be sure to boil it quickly to sterilize it before adding it to your bottling bucket.
Thanks for the Northern Brewer link! I'll bookmark that.

Any recommendations between molasses, maple syrup or brown sugar?

And to be clear-- if I use a liquid like molasses or maple syrup, I should lightly boil it (how long) before adding it to my bottling bucket?
Thanks all!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I've done it with Date Palm Mollasses before, it was intense. It's really your call. You can use any fermentable for priming. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars including mollasses in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

I wouldn't trust any calculators and do the math based on the nutritional information on the label....which is how I show in that post.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchemBrewer View Post
Any recommendations between molasses, maple syrup or brown sugar?
since you'll be priming a stout, any of them would work. really depends what you're going for. molasses will give you the most intense flavor, you should do some searching here on others' experiences with the stuff - some people love it, some don't. then again you'll only be using a little. i love the taste of maple syrup (i'm canadian, we have to) put it will be pretty subtle. might not shine through a very roasty stout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchemBrewer View Post
And to be clear-- if I use a liquid like molasses or maple syrup, I should lightly boil it (how long) before adding it to my bottling bucket?
Thanks all!
i would boil the molasses or the sugar in water. hold for a few minutes, enough time for the steam to fill up the inside of the pot and kill everything in there (3-4 minutes). for the maple syrup, i would boil some water for a few minutes to sterilize the pot, then let the water cool to 170*F, add the MS, and hold that for a minute. this will pasteurize it. you don't want to boil MS since you'll blow off some of the delicate aromatics.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
KYchemBrewer
Recipes 

Brewed the oatmeal stout on MLK, sat in primary then bottled two weeks ago.

I used 1.2 oz of maple syrup and dextrose to make up the remainder of priming sugar.

Forgot the good advice and put the maple syrup in for 2-3 or so of boil (dextrose had been in for 10min by then).

I like the flavor. You pick up the maple in the finish in the back of your mouth. Good w a stout.

I WOULD do this again but probably use even less syrup and follow the good advice NOT to boil it.

Any one else try this?

Quick Reply