New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Moistening Belgian Corks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
la_zonon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Moistening Belgian Corks

Last week, I bottled a sparkling pyment in Belgian-style bottles with beer corks and wire hoods. I've read some conflicting opinions as to whether it's necessary, or at least beneficial, to age bottles with this type of cork on their sides.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, for future reference, would a beer in Champagne-style bottles with wine corks secured by a crown cap need to be stored on its side as well? Lastly, could anyone tell me what size corks works best for this type of bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Subscribed.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
beeraroundtown
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You don't need to store them on their side, they will be just fine upright. I store all mine on the side since it saves space since I stack them. From what I've been told there is a slight benefit to storing on it's side in lambic/gueze since it spreads out the yeast/bacteria giving more contact area for them to work over the long haul.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
beeraroundtown
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, I'm pretty sure it's the #9 cork when you cork+cap bottles. I believe I use these ones from Austin Homebrew: Austin Homebrew Supply

They work great.

Quick Reply