Modifying keg..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I have two older kenmoore kegerators and was about to convert one to hold 4 homebrew kegs... well I never thought to test fit them and I never noticed that there was a section in the rear of the kegerator that comes down lower and prevents a keg from being pushed all the way back... basically it looks like I'd have to cut the rubber tops off the keg to somewhere near the top of the handle to get a keg to slide all the way back in there... but even then I dont know if the ball locks with regular fittings will clear... first question... can I cut the rubber off the top of a keg..?? and is there any type of low profile ball locks that will make these fit..?? I hope some one can help me out since I'm in the middle of building a 4 tap tower.. Thanks in advance...

Jester

I guess I'd start by looking at that 'overhang' of yours. What is it? Why can't it be excised/moved/otherwise modified to accomodate the kegs.

It's seems pretty likely that if you cut into the plastic there you'd find that there's some wiggle room that might let you modify the fridge to meet your needs.

kornkob said:
I guess I'd start by looking at that 'overhang' of yours. What is it? Why can't it be excised/moved/otherwise modified to accomodate the kegs.

It's seems pretty likely that if you cut into the plastic there you'd find that there's some wiggle room that might let you modify the fridge to meet your needs.

I'll probably look into that after I try to modify a keg... I'm sure the compressor for the fridge is up there... and I wouldnt want to ruin the kegerator... but maybe if I take the back panel off I can see if there is any room to massage things a little... hopefully..!!! THanks again and keep the options coming...

Jester

Nah, the compressor is in bulge at the bottom/back. The bulge between fridge and the freezer is the evaporator, the part that does the cooling. Are you using all the way to the bottom? Removing bins, etc? I can't see NOT fitting 27" in most fridges...

casebrew said:
Nah, the compressor is in bulge at the bottom/back. The bulge between fridge and the freezer is the evaporator, the part that does the cooling. Are you using all the way to the bottom? Removing bins, etc? I can't see NOT fitting 27" in most fridges...

These are actual store bought kegerators, not refrigerators... they were meant for nothing but holding comercial kegs...

Some of my kegs have a single metal handle off to one side. You might look for some of those. I have one of my four kegs sitting on the little shelf in the back & bungied in place.

I jsut remeasured and it looks like I have 24" clearance... with that I should be able to slide a pin lock keg back there, since they are about 23" with the fittings on... and I've seen a few places that sell pin locks that have been modified to have ball lock fittings... so I guess this is the easiest route to take... I didnt want to buy anything else, but I also dont really want to cut my kegs up either... so, in time I'll get two of these converted pin locks... Thanks for everyones advice.. if anyone has any other options, let me know..

Jester

Back