Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > mini kegging?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #21
dp69_2001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Whole list of them. They're all rather expensive and a few of them have rather poor reviews. but I'm guessing there are quite a few people that don't know how to use them properly. Almost thinking it would be cheaper to do a mini fridge convert and have 2 taps coming out the top of it. Anyone tried anything similar?

Mini Kegerators & Mini Beer Keg Dispensers at Kegerator.com

Edit: well there was a whole list of them about 4 hours ago. now there's only 1 lol.

Last edited by dp69_2001; 06-01-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
thrawn86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the guy at my lhbs had a similar setup, but he said he screwed carbonator caps onto them [the part where the c02 bulb goes in, I didn't get a good look at it], and hooked that up to his co2 tank to carb.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #23
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp69_2001 View Post
Whole list of them. They're all rather expensive and a few of them have rather poor reviews. but I'm guessing there are quite a few people that don't know how to use them properly. Almost thinking it would be cheaper to do a mini fridge convert and have 2 taps coming out the top of it. Anyone tried anything similar?

Mini Kegerators & Mini Beer Keg Dispensers at Kegerator.com

Edit: well there was a whole list of them about 4 hours ago. now there's only 1 lol.
my chest freezer that holds 4 kegs (6 with colar)was only $20 more brand new.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #24
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp69_2001 View Post
Sweet. sounds good. the tap also came from my LHBS (which really isn't so local) They sell the tap for 79 dollars. Mini kegs for 13 dollars. the set up was supposed to come with food grade C02 cartridges but they were out. Wouldn't using the gravity tap only work if I was drinking the keg within a couple hour period of time? I'd hate for the beer to get flat, and I rarely have people helping me drink it
Yes, they are made for killing within a hour or so...but I've never had any problem doing that.

I got all my kegs from Germany where they were about $8 full of local German beer...not $15 empty like in the US.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #25
dp69_2001
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thought I'd throw an update on here for anyone who's happening upon this dead thread. The mini kegs were kind of neat for a while, but what happened is I had a hefewiezen that didn't completely ferment in 2 weeks, and I put it right in the kegs. Well, 2 weeks later 1 of the kegs had expanded to the point of being unusable and 1 had blown off the bung in the top and ruined the keg (which is what got me investigating).

Honestly, for the 100ish dollars I spent on this setup you could easily build a soda keg dispensing unit.

I went for a brand new GE fridge, a two tap tower, new regs and bottle and I think I only ended up with about 400 into it. However you can find used fridges for $0-$25 in the local paper or free classifieds pretty frequently. Kegs I learned vary quite a bit depending on where you get them from I found a guy in the city that sells them for nearly half of what I got the first 2 for and in my town at least it's much more cost effective to exchange CO2 bottles at the Coke distribution center (though you do have to make a deposit on the first one).

Overall, I think I could have built a decent single keg and picnic tap setup for right around 150 or 200. Been using my setup for about 8 months now, and I can't believe I never did it before. I'm producing clearer, cleaner beer than ever before. With pretty predictable carbonation levels and having a tap in your home is just about enough to make any man happy with life...

Quick Reply