Originally Posted by dp69_2001
They're 1 gallon kegs. The drain plug on the bottom is kind of weird and I'm not entirely sure it would work as a tap. You twist it, and then pull it out. It seems like it would spray beer everywhere as you were pulling it.
So, it wouldn't work if I siphoned the beer on top of 3/4 cup corn sugar in my bottling bucket and then filled the kegs and put the remaining gallon in Bottles? Would that be too much carbonation for the bung to hold, or for the beer to dispense properly?
NO!!! That's NOT a drain plug...it's your TAP!!
It's a built in gravity tap. To use these you need to open the top bung first to allow air inside the keg then the bottom to complete the flow.
Yes, if you prime the entire batch as normal you will be overpriming if you put it into minikegs.
Priming is 1 TBS like I said before. Overpriming will ruin your kegs by bulging and leaking.
Here's what you do if you are going to minikeg and bottle:
1. Pour 1 TBS Corn Sugar into minikeg.
2. Rack beer into minikeg.
3. When full, fit bung into place. Roll on counter to mix up sugar.
4. Check for leaks.
5. No leaks? Done.
6. Measure remaining beer in bottling bucket.
7. Measure and use .8 oz corn sugar per gallon of beer.
8. Mix in dissolved corn sugar/beer solution into bucket.
9. Bottle as usual.