New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Mini-Keg Users?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 03:30 AM   #1
Vista04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini-Keg Users?

I'm thinking about switching from bottling in 12 oz bottles to a mini-keg system that still involves priming sugar but uses C02 cartridges to expel the beer from the keg. I was hoping that someone out there is using/has used a similar system and can tell me some of the benefits and downfalls of the system as they have experienced it. I really like the idea of small kegs that can be transported, but I am trying to figure out if it is worth it to switch from bottling.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2005, 03:45 AM   #2
Vista04
Recipes 

Just realized there is a whole forum section on equipment that I failed to see before posting my question here. I'll check that out, so don't worry about replying to this post.

-stillgettingusedtothissite

Old 10-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
tdiowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the Party Star system and couldn't be happier with it. The only problem I have had with it is a leak where the tube inserts into the keg. The simple fix was to wrap a piece of silicon around it where it makes it seal around the bung. It is a huge improvement over bottling and in fact have thrown all my bottles away.

TD

Old 10-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #4
xpoc454
Recipes 

I also have the party star setup and it is wonderful.

Mine also leaked a little one time out of 6 tries, where the nossle goes in the bung.

Its nice because unlike the ones that lie on thier side, you can carefully carry this around and fill people up as you visit with them.

The equipment is top notch, the only problem I have is the plastic lever you pull down to dispense sometimes pops off but you just put it back on.

I sometimes get to much CO2 and the beer comes out foamy, but I think I have fixed that by making sure that its at the lowest setting when I put in my cartridge.

I also heard horror stories about the cans being weaking and deforming. I havent had any problems with that. If you prime to much, which I did once, the part of the bung pops right out or the entire bung does. Not enough pressure will build up to damage the container.

You can also use coors light/molson and other 5 litre kegs if you dont purchase enough with the tap.

Next Up?-Some more Morebeer.com beers

Primary-Secondary1-none
Secondary2-none

In Bottles-Morebeer's extra special bitter
Morebeer's american pale ale
2008 and 2007 cherry berry mead
2009 Cider

Quick Reply