Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Mini fridge conversion to corny kegerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #21
JohnnyGunn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey guys...I know this thread is kind of old...but I have a very similar situation. I bent the evaporator (freezer compartment) down in my Danby fridge as well, but I'm getting temperatures that are waaay too low for keeping beer.

What kind of temperatures are you getting in your units? Didn't it just turn your fridge into a freezer? And lastly, are you using any sort of external temperature controller to increase the temp in your fridges?

Thanks for helping a noob!

jon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did a Sanyo with freezer without bending the freezer section back by using a pin-lock keg with low-profile connectors. These things don't usually have that good of temperature control, so I use a separate controller. You just crank the fridge all the way up and then set the controller at, say 42 degrees.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 PM   #23
ThirdCity
Recipes 

Default What are we using these days?

I'm giving serious consideration to taking the kegerator plunge. I've done mountains of searching on the forum and it seems clear that the Sanyo 4912M was the preferred fridge of choice for conversion.

Unfortunately, as we are all too well aware, that most perfect of fridges has been discontinued by the good folks at Sanyo.

What model fridge is the go to choice these days for tower taps? I'm trying to avoid the keezer route. Space/aesthetics are an issue.

Thanks for the insight!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #24
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCity View Post
I'm giving serious consideration to taking the kegerator plunge. I've done mountains of searching on the forum and it seems clear that the Sanyo 4912M was the preferred fridge of choice for conversion.

Unfortunately, as we are all too well aware, that most perfect of fridges has been discontinued by the good folks at Sanyo.

What model fridge is the go to choice these days for tower taps? I'm trying to avoid the keezer route. Space/aesthetics are an issue.

Thanks for the insight!
If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a chest freezer and add a collar. The towers need modification to cool them so your beer doesn't warm up in the line and foam when you pour. I don't know of any mini-fridge without freezer right now, but I haven't recently looked.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #25
Brefus
Recipes 

just did this conversion on a hair 3.3 cu ft fridge. removed the inside of the door with the soda holder and im going to shave down the foam on the inside of it to get an extra inch of space or so.

Reason: dead link

Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #26
estoppel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am thinking I will use the Danby/Whirlpool WAR488BSL. It appears as thought is, at the very least, available north of the 49th:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #27
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I too would go the keezer route if I had to do it all over again. Roughly the same cost but lots nite room for expansion... instead Im stuck with just 2 taps.

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #28
JohnnyGunn
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Same here...about the keezer! More room for extra cornies...and trust me...as soon as you put a draft tower in for only one beer, you'll instantly want more!!!

In most cases, at least when you bend the freezer compartment back like I did, you'll need an external temp controller anyway....use it for a keezer!

The only downside of a keezer is the size. I like my kegerator because it fits very nicely under my bar top.

Just my opinion though.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #29
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I started kegging, I also started making a batch of soda occasionally to make SWMBO happy (she's not a big beer drinker, but is intrigued by the science / process of it all). With a mini-fridge, that limits me to 1 tap for a beer. I currently have 2 beers on tap, and would love to make the cream soda I just got extract for, but no dice. I also have a Raspberry Red Ale about to go to 2ndary, that will sit around for a few weeks before it makes its way to the fridge. That's fine and all, but I'd rather have more assortment on tap, and/or have it condition at serving temp.

And hey, if you don't fill the keezer with brews in corny, it also makes a great place to lager.

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #30
BadBeagleBrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Whats the thought of just cutting the freezer compartment (cutting around the line) out of the fridge.

Quick Reply