Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Methods for filling a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #1
Buford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Methods for filling a keg

For my first kegged batch I'll probably hit the empty keg with CO2 to purge the air (so as to avoid oxygenation issues) and then just use a racking cane on the end of my siphon hose in the big top opening to fill it. However, an idea I had, I'm wondering if anyone else does it this way - use a siphon hose with a ball-lock fitting on the end so you can fill via the liquid-out post, with the lid on and pressure relief valve held open to vent the air as it fills. It looks like it'd be a "cleaner" way of doing it.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2007, 03:15 AM   #2
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford
For my first kegged batch I'll probably hit the empty keg with CO2 to purge the air (so as to avoid oxygenation issues) and then just use a racking cane on the end of my siphon hose in the big top opening to fill it.
I did my first one a few weeks ago, siphoned in through the cover opening, used an old broken piece of racking cane on end of siphon tube to help sink it, so it wouldn't splash, and to keep the tubing from trying to curl up. Had to sanitize the tubing in & out, and it was sketchy as far as not letting it touch anything - I'm sure it introduced some contaminants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford
However, an idea I had, I'm wondering if anyone else does it this way - use a siphon hose with a ball-lock fitting on the end so you can fill via the liquid-out post, with the lid on and pressure relief valve held open to vent the air as it fills. It looks like it'd be a "cleaner" way of doing it.
I would agree, this seems like it would be less likely to introduce contamination. I know some folks use a bit of CO2 into one of those 2-port carboy caps, to push the fluid out the tubing - seems like such a setup would work for getting the flow to overcome the restriction of the ball lock and liquid out post. I wish I could see someones setup for how they hook onto the top of carboy - I don't think they're using much pressure.

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 03-12-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMHO, just siphon your beer through the cover like you would into a bottling bucket. Once the keg is full, put pressure on it, wait a couple minutes, and pull the purge to eject all of the air thats floated to the top. You'll be left with beer/w co2 on top.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-13-2007, 12:58 AM   #4
KitrGy
Recipes 

My last batch I did just what you suggest and filled in the liquid port on the keg with a ball lock it was very clean. I'll likely use this method again next time too.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
LouT
Can't wait to go AG...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitrGy
My last batch I did just what you suggest and filled in the liquid port on the keg with a ball lock it was very clean. I'll likely use this method again next time too.
Can you explain how you set it up, and/or show some photos?

Primary - California Common -finally!
Secondary - nothing, back after year plus hiatus
Keg carbing & conditioning - nada
Drinking - store bought: Loose Cannon IPA, Wachusett IPA.
On deck: Trying to decide (beer); wine kit likely (red wine)

Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

One tip: if you are going to use this method, before you start, completely tear down and sanitize the ball lock fitting. Not just the keg post--- the fitting as well.

Really, I've never had issues just racking through the lid. I figure the added expense of a specialized tube/fitting just for kegging isn't worth the effort. Besides, it's easier to sanitize a siphon tube than it is a siphon tube with a ball lock fitting on the end.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

if you are taking the post off, there's no reason not to take the 3 seconds to pop out the valve. Considering the amount of time saved with kegging, thorough sanitation should be no problem.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 03-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

i have recently gone to siphoning through the liquid QD. i have 3/8'' silicone tubing, purchased a 3/8'' tubing -> 1/4'' MFL, and use clamps. i ferment my 10 gallon batches in a 14.5 gallon HDPE drum, and i use co2 to push the beer, since my fermenter is on the same level. i have two holes in the lid, one to push co2 into, and the other for the racking cane.

i also purge out the keg(s) with co2 before i transfer, and then just like you said, i lift the relief valve. i also have a 50# scale, and use that to measure when i should stop one keg, and go to the next one, as beer is mostly water, so only i reach about 40# increase in weight, i move on to the next keg. it is a rough estimate, but i usually don't hit my target volumes either, so i'm a bit short most of the time, and it's fine.

i've started to really like co2 transfers. i haven't had issues in the past with traditional methods of siphoning, but this just seems that much better.

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 605 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloop
IMHO, just siphon your beer through the cover like you would into a bottling bucket. Once the keg is full, put pressure on it, wait a couple minutes, and pull the purge to eject all of the air thats floated to the top. You'll be left with beer/w co2 on top.
That's basically what I do. I'm very careful to avoid splashing/aeration, and I sanitize the racking tube inside and out. I only purge after filling the keg - put 20 psi on, vent, repeat twice.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
One tip: if you are going to use this method, before you start, completely tear down and sanitize the ball lock fitting. Not just the keg post--- the fitting as well.

Really, I've never had issues just racking through the lid. I figure the added expense of a specialized tube/fitting just for kegging isn't worth the effort. Besides, it's easier to sanitize a siphon tube than it is a siphon tube with a ball lock fitting on the end.
Yep. That was my concern.
If you had a sanitation issue in there you would be directing it all into the main tank.
When you are serving this may not surface as an issue because the source of the potential infection is on the way out.

To me the payoff is not big enough, but do let us know how this works out.
Always looking for new ideas/better way.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply