The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Massive amounts of C02 coming out of the keg.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
BarrelheadBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Massive amounts of C02 coming out of the keg.

I'm sure this or something like it has been posted somewhere, but every attempt to locate it has come to nothing... I've got some skeeter pee on tap that is blowing an awful lot of carbonation when I draw on it. I've cheked the post that draws the liquid out, thinking maybe there was a hole in it that was allowing gas in as well as the liquid. It's air tight. The seals are all new, and worked fine for the first gallon or so. Poppets are clean and functional, as best as I can tell. and the gas/liquid lines are on correct.

I'm not having issues with any of the other three I have on tap. I just can't figure out why it's being so problematic. Pressure seems to have little effect on this issue. It's not carbonated, and anyways the issue is not a results of carbonation collecting in the lines... It's large burps of gas. When it comes out, it pretty much gurgles. Not sure where to go from here, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Everything you're describing sounds exactly like a compromised dip tube o-ring on the liquid side. I know you said you checked the post and poppet, but did you remove the liquid OUT post to inspect the dip tube o-ring?

It's also possible there's a pinhole somewhere in the liquid dip tube, so after pouring fine for part of the keg suddenly it's foam city. I think someone else mentioned that this happened to them. That's pretty unlikely though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
BarrelheadBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's not foamy at all. There are large gulps of co2 coming out. I checked the post. It, so far as i can tell, is uncompromised. Checked the o ring, and it looked ok, i didn't inspect it thoroughly though.. guess I'll check that and report back.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Yeah "foam city" wasn't the most descriptive term

I mean CO2 being injected directly into the liquid line. If there's any beer present, that means foam city. Take off the liquid post with a wrench and check out the dip tube o-ring. Probably worth replacing it either way. Make sure you don't crank down on the post when you reinstall, that can crush the o-ring.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Is this what it looks like? Foam City:

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's probably a hole in the dip tube itself. Once the fluid level went below the hole it's now pulling liquid and gas into the tube.

Quick Reply