Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Mason jars

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Default Mason jars

I'm brewing my first cider and it's not quite finished but I've been really thinking about something..
Can I bottle in mason jars? It's a traditional mason jar with a two-part lid and I think they can form a pretty good seal...
Also I have not yet learned how to primp my sugar (I don't know if I'm saying that correct) to make a carbonated beverage but will cider carbonate as much as beer? For some reason I'm under the impression that beer carbonates a lot more.... If this is true and I'm only bottling cider can I get away with it?
The next part of this question is if I cannot get away with it and the carbonation is going to be too much for the seal... How fast will it escape?
Since I have tons of mason jars can I keep it in the mason jar for a really short time like 1 to 3 days without losing too much carbon dioxide? My friends are wanting to taste it so I think if I give it to them and instruct them to drink it right away they will, so they won't be in the mason jars for too long.
If this is totally bad let me know but I'm really curious to see if anyone has tried this?

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
gunner65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I dont know about "canning beer" but it takes at least 1 week to carbonate a beer with priming sugar and probably more like two weeks before the beer is nicely carbed I wait a minimum of 4 weeks before I pop one open.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I wouldn't worry so much about how long it takes to carbonate.... I'd be more concerned about the fact that mason jars (I'm pretty dang sure) aren't rated for pressure. BOOM goes the mason jar.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 12-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

You can't carbonate in a canning jar. Its meant to withstand a small amount of vacuum pressure, but not be carbonated and they likely will bomb. Somewhere there's a really good thread/link about this.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Not again.....

Mason jars are meant to hold a vaccum, not the outward pressure of carbonation pressing on the screw ring.

Drink out of them, but don't bottle in them.

They work by creating a vacuum when you can under pressure... WHen you put your food in the jar, seal the jar and stick it inside the boiling water bath, the vacuum draws the seal downward or inward that's why the dimple on a can is supposed to be pushed inward, and if you ever come a cross a can where it is bulging outward you are in trouble...

When you bottle, the gas builds up til it maxes out the head room (held in place by the crimped cap or the cork with wire or the gasket on a grolh bottle.....The co2 hits the barrier, maxes it and then goes back into solution/

With a mason jar you would either blow the seal and all the co2 would escape or if you were lucky enough that the seal held, more than likely the glass of the jar would explode and you would have a nice bottle grenade....

The tops for a mason jar typically is a thin metal lid with a rubberized "grommet" attached to is, really just a silicon band around the edge of the lid, and a retaining ring.

When you can, the cooling of the once heated container and it's goodies creates a vaccuum, it sucks inward. It pulls the flat tightly Downward.

In fact many of the lids actually has a small indentation in the center of it, that when the vacuum occurs it is pulled inward on the top and leaves a little dimple. That's a sign that there is a vacuum pulling the lid down and keeping the veggies or jam sealed up nicely and protected from infection.

And usually after you remove the retaining ring, if everything is OK with the jar, you usually can feel/hear the the vaccum break, with a little *POP*

However any of you who have ACTUALLY canned before, probably knows that one of the ways you can tell if your food in the can spoiled is if the little dimple is pushed outword. In jars without the dimple it is really hard, usually the lid might feel loose or there might actually be wetness around the lid when you unscrew the retaining

Because usually the rotting food give of a gas which expands to push up the dimple OR it breaks the seal where the little lid gasket meets the rim of the glass.

There is considerably MORE pressure in the carbonation process of beer, often enough pressure to cause a BOTTLE BOMB, in bottles specifically made to handle the OUTWARD pressure of carbonation.

Now if you managed to find one of these older style, thick walled jars with big gaskets and flip tops...We MIGHT be having a different discussion.

But your typical jars from the grocery store...NOT.

A crown bottles cap is designed to contain the Outward and upward pressure of a beer bottle, we crimp it down, we don't create a vacuum that seats it on the bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

You guys are really great on this forum!! This is like full on brewing school!!
Thank you all so much for not only the answer, but a full explanation of the reasons behind the answer.... I belong to a few forums, one in particular is a Paintball forum... And half the time when people ask a question they get a quick short answer back with no explanation but I can tell that you guys are really in it to help and because you love this hobby of homebrewing!
Thanks a million guys.... Three questions down.... 1867 to go...
🍺 (:
Cheers

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Thanks! When I'm looking for info, I want as detailed an answer possible, that's how I learn things, or how my brain works. Some folks troll me and make comments about my long answers to folks questions, but I figure folks who need only a little can just take a little info, and folks who like depth can get depth. Folks can skim or folks can read every word, and hopefully all will be helped by what I write.

It means a lot that you appreciated it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To the other part of your question, you can carbonate cider to the same level as beer. However, since apples don't have the same proteins and other compounds as grains you won't get the same head retention which may be where you're thinking the carbonation is different. Think about it more like champagne, there's lots of bubbles but they don't stay all that long. Cider's more like wine in this sense. At least that's been my experience with cider and mead.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:20 AM   #9
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade
You guys are really great on this forum!! This is like full on brewing school!!
Thank you all so much for not only the answer, but a full explanation of the reasons behind the answer.... I belong to a few forums, one in particular is a Paintball forum... And half the time when people ask a question they get a quick short answer back with no explanation but I can tell that you guys are really in it to help and because you love this hobby of homebrewing!
Thanks a million guys.... Three questions down.... 1867 to go...
cdf7a (:
Cheers
Is that forum PB Nation? If so I feel the same way! And Revvy is always a wealth of knowledge. This forum is an excellent source of info and finding an answer is only a few key strokes away.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #10
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I use mason jars for yeast storage but not for bottling.

Quick Reply