Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Martinelli Bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Martinelli Bottles?

Does anybody use Martinelli cider bottles for beer? Can they be used?

It just struck me that these come with a standard cap under the foil, and they are pretty heavy bottles that withstand the cider pressure. I don't have any on hand right now, but my kids like the stuff and I'd do them a favor and buy them some just for the bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I use them! They aren't as thick as champain bottles but are still thicker than beer bottles.

Plus their 25oz so just a tad more than a bomber. And if you get them durring the holidays at Sams they're like 3 for $5

Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
zacster
Recipes 

I think my kids are getting a treat tonight, and for the next few weeks.

My only problem now is that I don't have anything to bottle

Old 05-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

And be forewarned, I don't believe they will work with a hand capper. I think you need a bench capper.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Oh good call....I use a bench capper so I've got no idea if they'd work with a regular hand capper or not...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure they will....the very first thing I EVER brewed was a cider that I bottled in Martinelli bottles and all I had back then was a hand capper so....you should be good to go

Old 05-23-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer View Post
Oh good call....I use a bench capper so I've got no idea if they'd work with a regular hand capper or not...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure they will....the very first thing I EVER brewed was a cider that I bottled in Martinelli bottles and all I had back then was a hand capper so....you should be good to go
Which capper did you have? I have the red plastic one and couldn't get a good seal on a martinelli bottle... 'course, it could've been the caps that was the problem... or that particular capper... or the bottle... who knows.

Regardless, test them out with your system before you bank on using them...

Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
zacster
Recipes 

I was going to test it out anyway. If nothing else I'm only out the cost of the cider, and that won't go to waste. I have a black double handled capper, two of them in fact. One works easier than the other, but both do the job.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:38 AM   #8
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
And be forewarned, I don't believe they will work with a hand capper. I think you need a bench capper.
They can work, but I've got a BIG scar that says sometimes the don't. Now I have a bench capper and feel much safer. I love Martinelli's, and the nice big bottle is a nice bonus. I use them all the time.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:59 AM   #9
Finn
Recipes 

Martinelli's bottles are awesome! I have a bunch that I use for hard cider when the apples come ripe. I don't use 'em so much for beer simply because (a) they're green, and therefore must be kept in the dark, and (b) 25 ounces is a LOT of beer!

I use a bench capper too. I think these bottles will throw a cap before they'll burst. They are truly hell-for-stout. I did an experimental plum wine in a gallon jug last year and bottled it off too early ...

Some wing cappers won't do Martinelli's because of the thick band of glass around the neck, just below where the cap sets. So, check to make sure your capper (you said two-handled -- wing, right?) will work on it.

Still it's an unbeatable value, especially if you catch 'em at a discount store for a buck-fifty a bottle. Since a case of champagne bottles will set you back $16, you're basically paying a whopping 17 CENTS for the cider inside. These put in a pretty regular appearance at my local Canned Foods Grocery Outlet ... look for 'em there.

On tap:Wilhoit Springs Bitter; Mac Cumhaill Breis Tiubh Stout; cider; soda water

Old 05-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I used the red standard one...

Check out ebay for bench cappers...mine is stamped 1920 and works like a dream...picked it up for something like $25 shipped too!

Quick Reply