Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Making Sure I'm Not Getting Ripped Off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 222

For me the refill places are only open during the week. That's a deal-killer for me because I have a job.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Here's the deal: I live in a rural area. Two gas supply stores in town. We don't have fire extinguisher stores or beverage supply stores. I live in a town of 15,000. Both the guys I spoke to from these gas supply stores seemed reluctant to turn on the machine or whatever the hell fills the cylinders for "just one" cylinder. I don't want to be "that guy" bringing in his precious shiny cylinder for one fill up, waiting around, and right in the middle of the work day. I am extremely busy during business hours. So exchanging, to me, sounds way more convenient.

I can see why some prefer to buy though, ideally I would too, but the logistics and cost just don't pan out. Every place online only sells new. And for a 20 lb new tank, it comes out to be about $100 plus $30-40 for shipping. There is ZERO chance of me finding used on Craigslist, because as I mentioned before, this is a very small town and the only CO2-related equipment I've seen are some weird things used for indoor marijuana grows (...in fact, maybe that's why theyre so expensive around here...).

So I'm about to bring my lube down to one of these stores and just bite the bullet. I just wasn't prepared for the fact that getting the damn Co2 for my new keg setup will cost me almost $200.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #13
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Well, what's the problem with buying the new one off of Amazon (or whatever), since it's cheaper than what they're offering to sell the used one for, and then proceeding to exchange THAT one? That way, you still can exchange the tank, AND you can save a few bucks in your up front investment. Wouldn't that work?

Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #14
jimmarshall
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I must be lucky. Local gas shop will refill in less than ten minutes while you wait.... No complaints or questions asked. Town of less than 8,000 people.

Primary: 5 Gallons of fresh air
Secondary: Fresh Air, Hopes and Dreams
On Deck: Roid Rage IIPA
Bottled: Whiny the Youngster IIPA, 3600 Second IPA, Daredevil IPA

Old 02-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #15
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 1082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
Well, what's the problem with buying the new one off of Amazon (or whatever), since it's cheaper than what they're offering to sell the used one for, and then proceeding to exchange THAT one? That way, you still can exchange the tank, AND you can save a few bucks in your up front investment. Wouldn't that work?
Yeah, you'd think he'd have come up with that right around post #3, but he totally missed it...

Cheers!

Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #16
grimstuff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Yeah, you'd think he'd have come up with that right around post #3, but he totally missed it...

Cheers!
Thanks for pointing this out, man. You're swell. What you may have missed is that the one on Amazon is $107.95 + $27.95 shipping. Using the complicated mathematics of addition, that's just a hair under the price I'd pay here at a shop.

As stated previously, there is zero benefit in the fact that this one is new, since I want to exchange it.

This is me walking into the shop with lube in hand:
This is me walking out of the shop with my Co2 ready to make some god damn beer:

Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #17
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
Thanks for pointing this out, man. You're swell. What you may have missed is that the one on Amazon is $107.95 + $27.95 shipping. Using the complicated mathematics of addition, that's just a hair under the price I'd pay here at a shop.

As stated previously, there is zero benefit in the fact that this one is new, since I want to exchange it.

This is me walking into the shop with lube in hand:
This is me walking out of the shop with my Co2 ready to make some god damn beer:
How about this one, before you go freaking out on more folks trying to help you:

For crying out loud, dude. In post #2, a guy pointed out that there was a CO2 tank on Amazon that could be delivered for $120. Here it is. Took me all of 90 seconds of scrolling on Amazon to find it. Keep the lube.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #18
jimmarshall
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff
Here's the deal: I live in a rural area. Two gas supply stores in town. We don't have fire extinguisher stores or beverage supply stores. I live in a town of 15,000. Both the guys I spoke to from these gas supply stores seemed reluctant to turn on the machine or whatever the hell fills the cylinders for "just one" cylinder. I don't want to be "that guy" bringing in his precious shiny cylinder for one fill up, waiting around, and right in the middle of the work day. I am extremely busy during business hours. So exchanging, to me, sounds way more convenient.

I can see why some prefer to buy though, ideally I would too, but the logistics and cost just don't pan out. Every place online only sells new. And for a 20 lb new tank, it comes out to be about $100 plus $30-40 for shipping. There is ZERO chance of me finding used on Craigslist, because as I mentioned before, this is a very small town and the only CO2-related equipment I've seen are some weird things used for indoor marijuana grows (...in fact, maybe that's why theyre so expensive around here...).

So I'm about to bring my lube down to one of these stores and just bite the bullet. I just wasn't prepared for the fact that getting the damn Co2 for my new keg setup will cost me almost $200.
At my local place they hook your tank up to a really big tank, set yours on a scale and open the valves. It takes 2 minutes.

Primary: 5 Gallons of fresh air
Secondary: Fresh Air, Hopes and Dreams
On Deck: Roid Rage IIPA
Bottled: Whiny the Youngster IIPA, 3600 Second IPA, Daredevil IPA

Old 02-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #19
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 1082 Posts

Last go 'round for me.

This is the brand new 20 pound CGA tank I found on Amazon.

$119.95 + $14.49 shipping.

Yeah, I said $130, it's $134.44. Tough nuggies. It's still less than "$140 to $190".

And trust me, any tank exchanger will take your brand new tank, even if you paid less money for it than what they wanted to charge you...

Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 AM   #20
grimstuff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
How about this one, before you go freaking out on more folks trying to help you:

For crying out loud, dude. In post #2, a guy pointed out that there was a CO2 tank on Amazon that could be delivered for $120. Here it is. Took me all of 90 seconds of scrolling on Amazon to find it. Keep the lube.
I am always grateful for help. I just don't take kindly to "some" people insinuating right from the get go that I am some sort of idiot and jumping all over me when Im merely asking a question., as shown in post #4.

Quick Reply