Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Magic Chef Keezer Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
Gander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Magic Chef Keezer Problem

I bought a Magic Chef 7.2 CuFt freezer built a collar and installed my White-Rogers control that I had been using on a smaller keezer. Plugged it in, it ran fine for an hour or so, then installed my taps, gas distributor and moved my kegs into it and had a beer to celebrate last night. Came home this evening, poured myself a beer and thought that it was a little warm, readjusted the control, checked it a while later and no change, what the heck. The compressor is very warm, starts, runs for 3 seconds then shuts off, two and a half minutes later it repeats. I thought that I might have it too close to the wall. I unplugged it and moved it a couple more inches from the wall, waited for the compressor to return to room temperature and plugged it in, with the same results. Has anyone else had a similar problem using this unit? I called Home Depot and they will replace the unit, just do not want to go thru this time and again as they are an hour away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I may not be much help, but where is your probe for your White-Rogers controller? I assume the White-Rogers controller is similar to a Ranco or Johnson controller?

If the compressor seems to be running, I'd start troubleshooting the controller.

EDIT: Welcome to the forum from a fellow (former) Michigander!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Start with the simple stuff first.

What is the thermostat setting on the freezer? I'll assume its at the coldest setting.

The voltage coming out of the controller should be 110VAC. Check the amps too, that you have enough for the keezer to operate properly. I'd look at the keezer spec sheet to determine the current load. Don't use extension cords. (Edit: If they aren't rated for the amp load.)

You can yank the controller out of the circuit altogether and see if the problem lies with with just the controller. Don't let your beer freeze though.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 05-28-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlenkerla View Post
Don't use extension cords.
I understand the normal household extension cords aren't rated for the amperage of a freezer. Shouldn't you be able to use an extension cord thats rated for the amperage?

I've run my regular home freezer with a 20' 12 amp cord, because I've been too lazy to install an outlet there for 2 years now. I'm sure it's cost me a few pennies in extra juice.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
ruffdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm View Post
I understand the normal household extension cords aren't rated for the amperage of a freezer. Shouldn't you be able to use an extension cord thats rated for the amperage?

I've run my regular home freezer with a 20' 12 amp cord, because I've been too lazy to install an outlet there for 2 years now. I'm sure it's cost me a few pennies in extra juice.
I'm using a either a 'heavy duty' or 'medium duty' extension cord (can't remember which kind I bought) and it seems to be doing fine.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm View Post

Yes - That's True. You should know how many amps the keezer or fridge is pulling. FCS5233-03/FY800: Keeping it Safe: Extension Cords

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

refrigerator problems and solutions, not cold enough, frost free repair information

Look at #3 on that link.

I had the same problem with an old refridgerator. Sanded it down, painted, put it in my house and it ran for a couple days then did exactly what yours is doing. I haven't done anything more to mine yet though.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu View Post
refrigerator problems and solutions, not cold enough, frost free repair information

Look at #3 on that link.

I had the same problem with an old refridgerator. Sanded it down, painted, put it in my house and it ran for a couple days then did exactly what yours is doing. I haven't done anything more to mine yet though.

Good luck!

Wow! - This should be pretty helpful for the OP.

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 05-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Gander
Recipes 

Thank you all for your input. My problem was an electrical supply issue. I had been using a short extension chord on my smaller keezer and tried using the same with my new larger unit. I have installed a very short 14 gauge extension and all is working fine.

Flyin’ Lyon a White-Rogers control has the same type of sensor as a Johnson or Ranco, it is a direct wire unit that I have wired with a 3’ air conditioner extension chord.

Schlenkerla I have my freezer control set at two and a half on a range of 1 to 5, I have always avoided running any thing at max unless absolutely necessary. Would there be a benefit to having it set at the top of the range?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander View Post
I have my freezer control set at two and a half on a range of 1 to 5, I have always avoided running any thing at max unless absolutely necessary. Would there be a benefit to having it set at the top of the range?
Because you are using the temprature controler, you want to make sure that the built in thermostat is never triggered. It is more important if you are using this in a fridge, since the magic chef has a swing of about 0-20f using it's thermostat. I have my 7.2fc MagicChef set to 1.

Quick Reply