Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Low pressure regulator Q

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Flywheel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Low pressure regulator Q

I did a search and haven't found an answer.

I have my keg full of an Irish Blonde and have the regulator set to 10-12psi in a 34ºF fridge. I check it every morning and every night to see if what the psi is. Sometimes I look and it says 2 psi, so I bump it up to 10, then it might drop back to 2, or it might jump up to 15-20 psi the next time I'm down there.

Is this normal, should it be so flighty?

I do hear it "pppsssssttttt" gas when I up it back to 10, so I know gas is flowing, but it seems to bounce around throughout the day.

Thanks

Keg4: StarSan
Bottle: Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Secondary: 68ºF air
Primary1: Cider
Primary2: Nothing
Planned: hmmmmmm

You mean a woman of your culture and money and beauty and money and wealth and money would, would marry that imposter?

Poison for email spiders

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you're never turning off the gas or anything like that in between, then I'd say you have a flakey regulator/or gauge.

If you are turning off the gas to the tank or something like that, then you might have a leak or something in the keg or lines.

Note: Get it checked, because the pressure could really be anything. I'd think you should be able to have a basic sanity check though if you open the pressure relief on the keg while the gauge is reading 2psi. If barely anything comes out, then it really is that low and your regulator isn't working. If you get a bunch of gas coming out then you probably have a bad gauge. (Replace ASAP so you don't end up with dangerous pressures)

Old 12-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawbox0 View Post
If you're never turning off the gas or anything like that in between, then I'd say you have a flakey regulator/or gauge.

If you are turning off the gas to the tank or something like that, then you might have a leak or something in the keg or lines.

Note: Get it checked, because the pressure could really be anything. I'd think you should be able to have a basic sanity check though if you open the pressure relief on the keg while the gauge is reading 2psi. If barely anything comes out, then it really is that low and your regulator isn't working. If you get a bunch of gas coming out then you probably have a bad gauge. (Replace ASAP so you don't end up with dangerous pressures)
Thanks!

Nope, I don't turn it off. And when I pull the release valve on the regulator when it's high there is more gas than when it is low. But, I have not tried it on the keg. I will do that tonight.

Oh also, I need to mention that I am carbing right now, I just put this in Sunday night. My first Keg, hence the question.

You mean a woman of your culture and money and beauty and money and wealth and money would, would marry that imposter?

Poison for email spiders

Old 12-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Flywheel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pulled the relief on the keg and the gauge went down and gas started flowing and the gauge went up to 10 and stopped. SO...I think it's working...however, I attached a line and took a sample and there is zero carbing right now, it has only been 3.5 days at 10 psi at 34ºF however,

Poison for email spiders

Quick Reply