Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Low co2 after bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
devin81knez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Low co2 after bottling

So I just bottled a brown ale about a week ago and added priming sugar that the kit came with. Now I know that it calls for two weeks in bottles but my girlfriend and I were curious on how much carbonation does only a week produce. After opening one of my beers I noticed that the co2 level was very low almost flat. Now I'm worried that another week won't be enough to get the amount that I want. Am I freaking for no reason or should I actual be worried? What should my beer look like in the bottle. I noticed a small amount of what I think is yeast slowly settling to the bottom. Do I just let my beer sit longer if its not ready in a week or will I need to uncap and add more sugars. Please share your thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
fbold1
Brew Nut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Carbonation

You've just got to learn to wait. No two batches are the same. I've had some that carb up in one week and others that took 3 or 4 wks.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just wait it out. Put it in a closet where you won't look at it everyday and set an alarm on your phone for two weeks and then check it...yeast will make CO2 and you need to let your beer absorb the gas and carbonate.

Mmmmmmm...Beer

Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
jdhasse
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Patience is one of the hardest parts of homebrewing, so relax. As long a there is yeast and priming sugar it will carbonate the bottle. However some brews take longer, depending on several different factors.

If it isn't ready in 2 weeks give it one more. If it isn't ready in 3 give it another, the process will work.

Some really high alcohol beers that are aged in primary and/or secondary fermenters for lengthy times can take months to carbonate.

Cheers!

Quick Reply