Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Low carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
jmuman703
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Low carbonation

Hey all!

Just brewed my first homebrew (a Bavarian hefe) and I am having low carbonation in the bottle. It is mildly carbonated but it has no head and not the carbonation you would expect from a wheat beer. It has sat now in the bottles for 2 and a half weeks. When I drink it I usually take a few bottles and throw them in the freezer to chill me down and once they are ice cold I drink them. Does anyone have any guidance for future beers? Or is there a way to get a little more carbonation from the ones I already have?

I heard a rumor that you need to let them sit in the fridge for a week to ensure the co2 gets into the liquid. Any truth to this?

Please help!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

The biggest thing is, that at 2.5 weeks, they may simply not be carbed yet......beers on average take 3 weeks when at 70 or above. If your beers not carbed yet, putting it in the cold won't help it yet, it will retard the carb process. Wait til after three weeks, chill a couple overnight (if you have them in 2 boxes grab one from each) chill them overnight, taste them, if they're BOTH fully carbed and to your liking,THEN grab some and chill for a week...but if they're not carbed yet, OR only one is, then they're not there yet.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
jmuman703
Recipes 

Hmm that could be my problem then. It hasn't been three weeks and I have the beer stored in my basement and it tends to be a constant 68 degrees so slightly colder than the "70 or above." maybe I should give it a week in a warmer area?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Yes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
jmuman703
Recipes 

Ok thanks for the help! That is what I am going to do then. I will give the beer a little bit more time in a slightly warmer area of the house.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

The one ingredient that they can't put in a starter kit is patience.

Patience is the answer to a lot of questions get asked on here.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
jmuman703
Recipes 

Haha I know. I am excited since this is my first homebrew. The guide said two weeks in the bottles but I suppose it will continue to carbonate over time. I am gunna put them in a warmer area and give them some more time. With all luck I may have a more carbonated beer by christmas!

Quick Reply