Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Louisville, KY CO2 sources

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
qaman00
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Louisville, KY CO2 sources

I am gathering all my equipment for my first venture into kegging. My kit from Keg Cowboy has shippied, I have a chest freezer, I'm waiting on my ebay dual stage temp controller, and I have my corny's. I think I am to the point of finally brewing some beer. While it bubbling away in the fermenter, I need to get my first CO2 tank filled.

Does anyone have a good source on the east side of Louisville to fill CO2 tanks? I know there is a welding supply place over by the airport, but I've spoken to them and, well, "less than impressed" is a polite way to put my experience (guy didn't have the information about whether they would fill a tank not sold by them or how much an exchange was so he told be to call back in "two minutes". I callled in three and the dude had gone to lunch. The man who helped me thought it was hilarious and said he does that all the time when he gets questions he doesn't want to find the anwers for).

I live in Crestwood so anywhere in the Lagrange, east Louisville, or even Shelbyville areas works for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
mciaio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

airgas.com, click store locator at the top of the page.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
qaman00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciaio View Post
airgas.com, click store locator at the top of the page.
Thank you mciaio. I called them and they don't fill in Louisville. They can send my cylinder out for fill, but don't do it here. I also tried Scott-Gross and they need to keep it overnight and want $20 to do it. In addition, I have to make a 60 mile round trip twice.

Anyone else have a suggestion? Does anyone use non-food grade CO2? Not sure what that even means, but Airgas was pretty stern about needing food grade.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Shoppy
Recipes 

I had the same problem this past week. I found a fire extinguisher service company and they were able to fill my 5lb for $10. You might want to try the same or a store that sells paintball supplies.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
qaman00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For anyone who finds this thread from a search, I thought I would let you know where I ended up. After several phone calls and speaking with a lot of people, I got a fill from Welding and Therapy on Crittedon Drive. They filled my 5# bottle while I waited for about $12.50. I didn't find anywhere in east Louisville who filled tanks.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hah I was going to suggest that place actually. I dealt with AirGas in Lexington, but they kept going up in price every exchange. At the place off Crittedon Drive I got my #20 tank exchanged for $16. Airgas was up to $30+ a year ago, who knows how much now.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
BigPoppa502
Intergalactic Beer King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have heard that Open Range there in Crestwood does this. They are an indoor gun range that also services paintball/speedball folks...I haven't called them yet, but am planning to as my corneys and tap system got here just last week.

- josh
Derby City Brewing Co.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
qaman00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa502
I have heard that Open Range there in Crestwood does this. They are an indoor gun range that also services paintball/speedball folks...I haven't called them yet, but am planning to as my corneys and tap system got here just last week.
I had not thought of them. That place is only a couple of miles from where I live. I'll check them out and report back.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
BigPoppa502
Intergalactic Beer King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaman00

I had not thought of them. That place is only a couple of miles from where I live. I'll check them out and report back.
I thought I'd update the thread... I just got back from Open Range. They were real nice and handled my CO2 request without incident or hesitation. I have a 5lb tank, cost me $20. Real nice people up there.

- josh
Derby City Brewing Co.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
qaman00
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPoppa502

I thought I'd update the thread... I just got back from Open Range. They were real nice and handled my CO2 request without incident or hesitation. I have a 5lb tank, cost me $20. Real nice people up there.
Thank you for the update. $20 seems a little steep to me, but anyone local will probably spend the extra 7.50 in gas to get to Crittendon Drive and back, not to mention the hour you will save.

Are you part of any Homebrew clubs, BigPoppa? I've been looking at them, but the two local groups don't seem very active.

Quick Reply