Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Looking to make kegerator from mini refrigerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
craigrigney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking to make kegerator from mini refrigerator

I know how annoying it is for repeat questions on this forum. I have searched and searched and am growing frustrated. I want to make my own kegerator out of a mini refrigerator, and I am not sure which mini frige to buy. I of course want to keep my costs down, hopefully less than $200 for the mini frige. I searched for the "flavor of the month" on here for the popular mini frige to convert, but it appears to be no current consensus. There were several popular models, but I think they may have gone out of stock. All the possibilities I have looked at have either a thermostat controller on the top, or a freezer across the top. Anyone have any suggestions? A full size frige and chest freezer are out. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
BreWirfel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found this thread when searching google, which is what landed me to this new world of information.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/frig...version-89013/

perfect for 2 cornies, a 5lb bottle/regulator and a couple bottles in the back. Lowes has them

hope this helps

Old 05-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
craigrigney
Recipes 

Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem with this one is I am set on a two tap tower, so it appears this option is out. See what I mean...it gets so discouraging. I hate to purchase a pre-made kegerator due to cost and wanting to do it myself, but I feel I am running out of options. Any other ideas?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
BreWirfel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrigney View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem with this one is I am set on a two tap tower, so it appears this option is out. See what I mean...it gets so discouraging. I hate to purchase a pre-made kegerator due to cost and wanting to do it myself, but I feel I am running out of options. Any other ideas?
why is this out?? you can run a dual head tower, with 2 cornies inside. You just have to move the thermostat/light not a big deal.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
MartyB
Recipes 

This is the Danby model that some people have converted and posted instructions about.
Walmart.com: Danby 4.4 cu. ft. Energy Star Designer Compact Refrigerator, Black: Appliances

Now $165 at Walmart.
I'm getting ready to get one ordered for my kegerator project.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
craigrigney
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I will search for instructions for the Danby. The only concern I had was the picture made it look like the controls were right on top, where I want to put the tower. This is the reason why I ruled out the frigidaire. The other posting said on the top was the coolant, and a tower would be too risky. Marty, did you find instructions for the Danby? If so, can you reply with the link. Thanks for the link at walmart. The conversion kit I found is from kegconnection, and this would make my total cost under $400 which would be great. Thanks for both of your input.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
MartyB
Recipes 

I found these instructions on kegkits.com
Danby Homebrew Kegerator

Here's another set for a different Danby. But basically the same layout.
Kegerator at Ronblog

Yes, the control is in the front/center. But it looks like things work fine by placing the tower a little further back. I'm tall with long arms, so that works fine for me. And plenty of room for a larger drip tray to hold a pitcher.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
craigrigney
Recipes 

Thank you everyone. I am ready to go.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
Brewin_CRAZY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to add a little more into this. I dont know if you have already purchased a fridge but wine coolers work really well. They are basically a mini fridge but have no freezer in them cool to 39F (perfect) and can be found used all over the place. I picked one up in new condition for $50 and it works really well. Fits two cornies in it (could fit a third 3 gal also), I put a nice two tap tower on it and the CO2 is outside (Lasts longer that way anyway). It will get my by until I upgrade.

Reason: Left something out

Old 06-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
dave73ok
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What model of wine cooler did you get? I see them from time to time, and they seem to be a cool option for conversion.

Quick Reply