The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Looking to get into Kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Medevac_Chief
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking to get into Kegging

Hey everyone,
I am new at brewing but have been seriously looking into starting to keg my beer instead of bottles. So I was wondering if I could run all my beer on a Nirto system so that I dont have to buy 1 system for my IPA's, and other Ales, and the Nitro system for just the Stout.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't know what a "Nirto system" is but if your question is about running different pressures to different kinds of beer, that can be accomplished by a gas manifold with a separate output pressure for each split-off. (I've seen as many as 8 of these linked together.... seems like LOTS of risk for slow leaks, but once it is all solid, shouldn't have problems.)

Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Medevac_Chief
Recipes 

Well arent stouts normally poured useing a nitro system instead of normal CO2, that have a diffent tap? I guess I should of been a bit more clear on my actual question. Can I run other styles of beer on the same system that I would a stout

Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
dezman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They use something called "beer gas" which is a mixture of nitrogen and co2. Think you can buy this stuff from your gas supplier. It would be worth checking out. I think this would be fine to use on any beer. Not sure how much it costs though may be expensive.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
scottatdrake
Recipes 

There are a few commercial stouts that have the nitrogen added to the gas mixture in order to give it a smoother texture but those are an exception, not the rule. Never seen a homebrewer doing it. I would just get a normal kegging system and look into nitrogen down the line if you decide to become some sort of stout aficionado.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
scottatdrake
Recipes 

Ah ha. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Nitrogen is used under high pressure when dispensing dry stouts (such as Guinness) and other creamy beers because it displaces CO2 to (artificially) form a rich tight head and a less carbonated taste. This makes the beer feel smooth on the palate and gives a foamy appearance. Premixed bottled gas for creamy beers is usually 75% nitrogen and 25% CO2. This premixed gas which only works well with creamy beers is often referred to as Guinness Gas, Beer Gas, or Aligal. Using "Beer Gas" with other beer styles can cause the last 5% to 10% of the beer in each keg to taste very flat and lifeless.

Quick Reply