Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Long tertiary for lambic...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 03:05 AM   #1
DubbelDach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Long tertiary for lambic...

So I made a pineapple lambic back in October. It's been aging in my basement ever since. I want to bottle it and have a few questions. For reference, here's what I did:

6 lbs. light malt extract syrup
1/2 lb. 2 row pale
1/2 crystal 20*
1/2 oz. stale Hallertau leaf hops (60)
10 lbs. crushed pineapple
Wyeast Roselaire yeast

Did a sour mash per Papazian... Next day (10/14/07) did my boil. Primary for a week. On 10/21, racked to 2ndary onto 10 lbs. crushed pineapple. A month later (11/17) racked off fruit to tertiary. Been there ever since.

So the questions:

1) The white film on top... Natural pellicle? From the funky bunch in the yeast/sour mash? Just stick the siphon in and rack below it?

2) This has been aging for 7 months. I would imagine that a yeast addition before bottling is in order. What's the best amount/type/method for that? FYI, I have light blue Safale packets handy.

Thanks in advance! Pics below... Yeah, funky lambic ages between a vacuum cleaner and hockey pads, lol....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the pellicle - it seems fairly normal, and I've seen far stranger than that on successful lambics.

I'd definitely suggest tasting the beer before considering bottling. Lambics have to be treated way differently than Sacch beer. In traditional lambics, at least, it was always considered necessary to store it through at least one complete summer, because the high temperatures allow the pediococcus to flourish, producing the perfect sour profile. From the pellicle, I believe you have nice secondary yeast activity, but the sourness is up in the air. Ultimately, I'd leave it to your palate. If you like it now, great! Bottle it. If not, trust that it will continue to develop with more time.

-Kai

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Old 06-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I take it by the pads you play roller hockey? I play goalie also, when we can find a place that will let us play.

Quick Reply