Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Liquid Post does not fit on Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Liquid Post does not fit on Keg

So I recently got some ball lock kegs, not really sure what they are. All I can tell is that they say Spartanburg on the side. Anyway, I wanted to replace the posts and other hardware and found what appeared to be the right shape posts online so I purchased them (they appeared identical to the ones that came with the kegs). The gas one fit completely fine, but the liquid post is too large and will not screw on. Has anyone else had this issue and does anyone know where i can find posts that would fit? These are the ones I purchased:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=400

I didn't even realize that the threads on the two posts would be different, that seems stupid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
brobeman
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I recently had a similar problem. Check out Cornelius Kegs on Wikipedia. There's a great description there of the different keg types and their associated input and output threads..

Brobeman

Old 05-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3212 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

There were several different keg manufacturers and even different models from the same manufacturer, so there are several variations for the post threading. You can't find any other identifying marks on the keg at all? You're sure it says spartanburg and not just spartan? The ones you bought look like they're for the newer firestone kegs (9/16"-18 tpi for the gas and 5/8"-18 tpi for the liquid). You could have a cornelius spartan which needs 19/32"-18 tpi for both. You might find this helpful-

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the original posts that you're replacing them? It's very uncommon for the post itself to become damaged enough to need replacement. They usually just need new o-rings and sometimes new poppets.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Quick Reply