Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Line cleaning advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
beertroll
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Line cleaning advice

I've started kegging recently, and I generally love it. However, the one task that gives me some trouble is cleaning the beer line. My process just sucks, and I end up with at least as much cleaner on the kegerator and the floor around it as I get through my line. I know a large part of the problem is the 1qt squeeze bottle I'm trying to use to force the cleaner through the line. It came with my kegerator, and the nozzle is just a little too wide to fit into the line; I believe it's intended for sanke fittings. The only thing I see for cleaning equipment on the big supply shops is $60 pump bottle, which just seems outrageous. What do most people use to actually run the cleaner through their lines? Am I supposed to be forcing the cleaner in through the tap end or keg end of the line?

The other frustration is that I haven't been able to figure out a way to send liquid through the ball-lock disconnect when it isn't attached to a keg post. I end up having to pull the line off every time I want to clean, which is kind of a pain with a barb connection. Is this just a compelling argument for going threaded instead of barbed, or is there something I'm missing?

It seems like this process should be much easier than I'm making it, so I would definitely appreciate any sage advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I bought an $8 garden sprayer at Home Depot, the kind you pump to pressurize, and fitted a ball lock post on the end of the hose.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

jbaysurfer Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

^ that's a great idea!

I just put hot PBW mix in a keg, pressurize it and run it through the lines. When it's empty, I open it, rinse it, put starsan in it and run it through the lines again. Then I hook it up to the new keg, clean and sanitized. You need to clean the keg that just kicked anyway, may as well take care of the lines while you're at it.

A couple times a year, I disassemble the whole keg for cleaning. Stuff does get in the crevices of the posts and seals....

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

terrapinj Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts

Honestly, I probably should clean my lines more often. I always say, "When the next keg kicks I'll clean them all!" Of course, my three kegs all seem to kick within a week or two of each other, they get cleaned the first time, don't want to clean them again so soon, and then it's several months before one blows.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Honestly, I probably should clean my lines more often. I always say, "When the next keg kicks I'll clean them all!" Of course, my three kegs all seem to kick within a week or two of each other, they get cleaned the first time, don't want to clean them again so soon, and then it's several months before one blows.
Yeah, I'm way more prone to not clean the line if I'm just going from a pale ale to an IPA or another similar beer. But smoked beers, spiced beers...I'm anal about cleaning the lines and kegs asap. I have a line that still imparts cinnamon into the first pour of a beer even though I've cleaned it many times. My pumpkin ale's spirit lives on I guess!

I love your sig line btw...

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
WDT
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

BLC (beer line cleaner) works fantastic. I just use an empty keg and mix up about 2 quarts of the stuff per instructions and push it through the lines until it comes out the faucet and let it sit for 30 min, flush it out with fresh cleaner and repeat. Everything is visibly clean after the second soak. With the remainder Flush it out until the "cleaner keg" kicks. Then refill the cleaner keg with cold water and rinse out the lines. I've had yeasty garbage sitting in the lines for a couple weeks and it washed right out.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

Many of us built these and love 'em. Inexpensive and easy to build, don't use CO2, hold more than enough to clean at least a six faucet rig (my experience), are easy to use (and thus more likely you'll actually use 'em more often ) and don't tie up a keg (which have hit $70 at one of my LHBSes. Yikes!)

What's not to love!

Cheers!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
beertroll
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Great! This stuff is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Many of us built these and love 'em.
I built one of these and mine leaks like crazy around the plastic threads where the liquid post screws onto the sprayer. If I pump furiously, I can get a slow flow of cleaner through the line (while liquid is simultaneously leaking out of the threads), but it's a real pain in the rear. I'm open to suggestions if anyone else has had the same problem and somehow solved it.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I use CO2 to push PBW and StarSan through the lines as part of my standard keg cleaning and sanitizing procedure.

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Quick Reply