LHBS Keg Only Competition - Items Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewThruYou

Reaction score
My LHBS is having a keg-only homebrew competition. However, I'm unsure of the logistics of transporting and serving my kegged homebrew. The comp requires your own dispensing system including co2 and they will provide ice.

Would you use a co2 injector like this and use a cobra tap?

I'm thinking this seems like more trouble than it's worth. Right now, I have a 2-corny kegerator with a tower that has a 5lb co2 tank with dual body regulator. I'd rather not disassemble that and transport for the comp.

Thoughts?

We have one of those small co2 injectors and it works great for taking kegs places. My hubby makes a keg special for an ice fishing trip he goes on and has the keg tapped with a cobra there on the ice while fishing. You could take the tank/regulator/keg with you and set up to serve with that, or just pop for a cobra and the small regulator.

But, my question is what do you get for the competition? Do you really want to give up a whole keg of beer as I suspect that there will be lots of people drinking at the competition?

I think I'm leaning towards not entering as it just seems like a giant PITA.

It's during a decent size beerfest. Entry is free, plus you get entry to the beerfest waived ($35 value). However, I doubt I'd be able to appreciate the fest much if you have to serve your own beer the whole time. Add in the cost of beer, cost of buying a co2 injector and cartridges, I'd be in the hole. Prizes are $200 LHBS gift certificate for 1st, $100 for 2nd, and $50 for 3rd.

Not only that, but you have to provide a sample from the same keg ahead of time to make sure it's fault free. That better be from a growler...it would suck to transport the keg to the LHBS for that sample, transport it back, and then transport it to the beerfest a few days later.

Don't know about that.

It does sounds more like bringing your beer to a party than a competition,
but should be a fun way to get a variety of opinions on your beer.

I'm giving it some serious thought. :D

Brewers Brawl 2011 at the Lansdale Beer Fest

PITA for me since I don't have a co2 injector, cobra tap, cartridges...really anything necessary to serve at the venue besides taking apart my kegerator setup. However, it would probably be even tougher for you since you'd have to drive from NJ to Keystone to have them sample your beer beforehand.

I guess the thing that stops me is that the free pass to the Beer Fest isn't really worth anything if you have to serve your beer for the entire time. Not to say my beer isn't any good, but I'd be itching to wander around and sample beer from Ballast Point, Firestone Walker, Founders, Lagunitas, etc. the entire time.

I'd just leave it sitting there and let others pour their own beer.
And I'm sure you could just use a growler or bottle for the sample.

If you don't wanna take your stuff, then don't. I'd just bring the kegerator setup. That canister is small and should be quick to disconnect. If it's not, get your setup going with screw fitting so it comes apart fast....

I'd just leave it sitting there and let others pour their own beer.
And I'm sure you could just use a growler or bottle for the sample.

If you don't wanna take your stuff, then don't. I'd just bring the kegerator setup. That canister is small and should be quick to disconnect. If it's not, get your setup going with screw fitting so it comes apart fast....

I guess it would be just disconnecting the gas lines and picking up a cheapo cobra tap. Maybe I could hook someone else up with co2 since I have a second connection. Maybe I'll look into those polysulfone quick disconnects as well.

I'm with the OP. We had one here last summer that two of my friends participated in. They didn't even waive the entrance fee. Supposedly they said it was a legal thing because then technically you were selling your hombrew for $25 (the entrance fee). I called BS and refused to enter. The organizer actually called me because he wanted our club to be well represented and I still refused. I paid my $25, and had a blast tasting all the commercial and homebrews all day while my two friend's served their beer, that they paid to make and labored over, and still paid the same amount I did to do it. Ridiculous.

However, it would probably be even tougher for you since you'd have to drive from NJ to Keystone to have them sample your beer beforehand.
I'm guessing that they'll let you bring a bottle for the sample, but will have to ask.

But not a problem. My beer travels . . . :cross:

MLT-Kegerator.jpg

To clarify in regards to the question of whether participating homebrewers get any time to enjoy the festival.
All participating homebrewers get into the event early so that they get to participate in the VIP tasting for about an hour before the homebrew competition begins. I will update the competition website to clarify it for all interested contestants.
Competition organizer,
Jason

To clarify in regards to the question . . . Competition organizer, Jason
Something else that I might as well ask here in case someone else has the same question. Do we just bring a bottle to Keystone for evaluation and then bring the keg on the day of the Beer Fest?

Or do we bring the entire keg to Keystone and you guys bring it to the event and we set-up and serve?

Any participant will just need to bring a sample. This can be done via growler, bottle, plastic water bottle, etc. If the keg is a winner, we'll then give everyone the low-down on keg logistics for the beer fest.

If the keg is a winner, we'll then give everyone the low-down on keg logistics for the beer fest.
Just re-read this and it made me think.

Will all the beers you sample go to the beer fest (as long as they are not nasty/infected) or are you only taking a limited number of what you judge to be possible winners?

We will be taking ALL the beers that pass the initial taste test. In years past, we've had upwards of 10 kegs go with us to different fests.

Back