Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Letting keg sit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
dwpumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Letting keg sit

Hey guys,
I have a party coming up in about a month and I want to bring a keg which I just finished today, but haven't carbed it or anything. My question is, can I just let it sit around for a couple weeks, or should I throw it in the keggerator on gas for a month? Thanks. Also my regulator is busted and I'm having trouble reading pressures, buy another one or prime with sugar, ideas?

Dan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Doesn't sound like you are having much luck. I'd go with priming sugar since you don't have a good idea where your pressure is. Prime it now so that it will be fully carbonated in time.

Here is a useful calculator to help you get the right amount of sugar.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At the least, I'd hit it with a burst of co2 and open the release valve on the keg lid while the gas is on so you purge any oxygen in the headspace.

If you have a free gas line, yeah, I'd go ahead and put it at serving temp now, and it'll be perfect in a month. I'd also order a new gauge/regulator ASAP.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I posted a bunch of answers to your other post with this question. In short, you'll have to do some systematic troubleshooting to figure out what's wrong with the regulator. Isolate one variable at a time. I'm leaning towards a leak, though, causing all your CO2 to exit the vessel.

I recommend using priming sugar for now. McK's link that he posted is a great resource.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
dwpumo
Recipes 

I have a packet for priming 5 gallons for bottles, is that equivalent to 5 gallons keg? Also the regulator does regulate how much gas comes out, however I'm getting no reading on the amount in the keg or the pressure.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Bottle priming and keg priming are two different animals. I can't explain the physics, but keg priming requires approximately 1/2 the sugar as bottle priming. Use the carbonation calculator in the link I provided to figure out the exact amount you need.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Since you are getting no reading on the amount in the CO2 canister, I would be likely to assume that you had a leak, and your tank is empty. Does it feel like it "sloshes" at all?

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
dwpumo
Recipes 

the tank isn't empty. Gas still flows, i just can't tell how much is in it and what the pressure is

Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Don't dick around with a CO2 tank that doesn't have a reliable regulator. You can't serve beer without a decent regulator so I'd replace it immediately.

It's been five days since your initial post so you're already closing in on the window where priming the keg will take too long.

Priming with sugar and moving your keg around isn't a great combo either. Force carb that beer. Chill it as soon as possible to let it clear and serve some nice looking beer at your party.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply