Let me see your side by side kegerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Needing some ideas for my kegerater project that I am going to start this weekend? Trying to decided how to set it up on the inside. Would love to see some pictures.

Thanks

I won't post any more pics of mine (I'm guessing everyone has already seen it and is tired of it :D ) but the thread in my sig does show some inside shots. Let me know if you want pics of the finished interior.

:mug:

You want this monster of a thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29053

I have a side-by-side, just assembled it a few weeks ago. My old one was bottom-fridge, top-freezer. Direct link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=741443&postcount=386

Mine is just one shelf for cornies right now.... but I'm playing with dimensions to see if, assuming I forsake all other fridge "occupants"... if I can fit 3 on one shelf, 2 on another shelf, for a 5-tap side by side. Ohhhhh delicious beer.

If I can make a suggestion... when you plan your manifold and gas lines... route the gas lines UP. I am working on "flipping" my regulator upside down because I do not like the gas lines dangling, like they are right now..

I will take better photos tonight for you - I have changed the liquid line routing a little bit... I've been fine tuning it over the past month, as I use it for can-beer too, so I open it a few times every night. If yours is purely for kegs, you might open it less often, and as such not worry so much about these things.

:)

Mine is just one shelf for cornies right now.... but I'm playing with dimensions to see if, assuming I forsake all other fridge "occupants"... if I can fit 3 on one shelf, 2 on another shelf, for a 5-tap side by side. Ohhhhh delicious beer.

:)

Thats mainly what im interested in seeing is how many I can fit. I ordered stuff to have 4 kegs on tap at a time, but not sure I can do that many,

Tell ya what, I'll try my idea tonight and see how many I can stuff, as I'm taking the other pics for you. :D

I love kegerators! :ban: Seriously, they bring so much joy to my heart that the only way I could like them more is if they had an extra tap that dispensed kittens. :p

Tell ya what, I'll try my idea tonight and see how many I can stuff, as I'm taking the other pics for you. :D

I love kegerators! :ban: Seriously, they bring so much joy to my heart that the only way I could like them more is if they had an extra tap that dispensed kittens. :p

Thanks a lot!!!! :mug:

Ok, I am sold... craigslist here I come!

Jaysus, I get full use of the freezer on my keg fridge too - half of it to store my massive hop stash, and the other half to store quick microwave breakfast food/snacks/hot pockets/etc that I don't want to "share" with SWMBO!. ;)

I also save 3 or 4 lbs of spent grain from my batches, and pass them on to my mum, she uses them to make Spent Grain bread. Ooh and I have a shelf in the fridge-side dedicated to my washed-yeast storage too!

Now to get to work on that kitten-dispensing tap. Hmmm. :fro:

OK I didn't forget about you, Ryan, work was just crazy yesterday and I didn't get a chance to upload the photos. Now they're up!

Here's the front of the unit. Many have asked me why I mounted the taps so high! I just hate bumping/running into them, and I find it's nice to have them up out of reach of anyone little.

Photo_002.jpg

Now this is with 3 kegs on the top shelf, 1 keg on the bottom. Note that this is standard shelves, no home-built braces or anything.... so the positioning isn't exactly optimal. I have ideas on how to improve on this, and just have to go buy some 2x4's.

Photo_003.jpg

Ignore the beer at the bottom of the fridge, that's fresh - one of my poppets sticks all the damn time, and results in slowly peeing beer all over the bottom.

Here's detail of the amount of clearance for the top three kegs. Plenty of room for QDs to run still.

Photo_004.jpg

Here's detail of the bottom clearance. This would reduce a little due to fabrication of a proper "shelf", but more on that in a second....... This picture is with the 5th keg in. The door won't close all the way, but that goes back to a fabricated shelf.

Photo_005.jpg

Here's the bottom of the fridge with no kegs. I predict that with a little bit of 2x4" handiness and some screws, I could make a shelf for the bottom that would get the kegs high enough on the "hump" in order to properly fit 5 kegs into this fridge.

Photo_006.jpg

I think the model is a Kenmore 20 - but I'm almost positive it's one of the smallest (narrowest) side-by-sides I've ever seen. Most of them seem huge in comparison. But I might just be crazy.

Finally, here's a bit of detail of how I cinched the lines together at the door area. I did this because my gas line kept "curling" really badly, and not flexing right... and when it did, it got shut between the door and the side of the fridge, it kept catching on the shelf right by it. The zip ties are simple, and reduce strain on all of the lines, not just the gas. I'm really happy with how it came together.

Photo_007.jpg

Now I just need to put check valves in (damned beer in my gas lines!!!) and flip the regulator upside down somehow.

So there ya have it. I'd say 3 top + 1 bottom is easily achievable, and in fact super-easy to implement without major fabrication. You could still store a 12pk of soda next to the keg on the bottom shelf, too. The full monty 5-keg setup would be tight, but in theory do-able. It would require some finesse on beer and gas lines, and it would require the custom 2x4 shelf solution.

Hope this helps a little!

Time to bring this thread back alive. :) - Was reading this as I'm converting a Side by Side today as a fermentation chamber. Got a great deal on 15gal fermentation vessel.
Chriso - I see you have a label on your one keg Hobgobin 3 (Burton). I was wondering how you liked your Burton and how close it is to the real thing. I've recently had some Burton Ale and was surprised to see there are no breweries importing any Burton Ales. Time to make one!

Back