Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Left keg in hot garage, now it is sour? (but sour in a good way)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Erik53
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Left keg in hot garage, now it is sour? (but sour in a good way)

I brewed a 10-gallon batch of pilsner in June. We drank all but half a kegs worth in August. I rotated the beers on tap and set aside the keg to let if lager a little bit more. Well, I ended up needing the space in my fermentation/lager chamber and set the pilz keg next to the cooler in the garage. I meant to bring the keg inside, but forgot. I didn’t realize my mistake until a week later and just figured that any damage from the heat was already done. It sat in the hot garage for at least 6 weeks until a week ago, when I had enough room to cool it back down and I moved it to my kegerator.

The beer: It tastes fine, but I am noticing a different mouth-feel and a slight sourness. I think the beer tastes wonderful, but it doesn’t taste like a pilsner anymore, it now tastes more like a Belgian.

I don’t know enough about lacto/brett, but would letting the beer warm up, speed up any lacto/brett growth and result in the new flavors? Or do you think the change in flavor is simply a result of the hot temps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
apo09283
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question. I had something similar happen to a summer wheat beer I had kegged. I kept the keg in question inside sitting on a central air vent with a thermometer on top. The keg never got above 74F all summer. When the first keg of summer wheat blew (it had been refrigerated the whole time) I put the next one on and discovered it had a noticeably sour taste to it......almost like a mild lambic. I love it! I figured the change was so pronounced because of the high yeast content.

I have six kegs on tap including a winter ale from last November. I find myself drinking the winter ale slower and slower because it gets better with each glassful! The change among different beers varies greatly but they always taste better.
Cheers,
Bill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply