Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Leaving keg overnight without co2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
kennyk2104
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Leaving keg overnight without co2

So I am kegging with a friend for the first time tomorrow night.

He lives about 45 miles from me and I am kegging the beer at his house and staying over and bringing it home the next day to put on my kegerator.

My question is, will that beer be alright in the keg overnight without any Co2? There will be some oxygen in the keg since I cannot add the co2 and burp it until the next day.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 425

If you already have the keg, you could purge the O2 out before you take it to his place. Otherwise, try to be as gentle with it as possible. It wouldn't be that different from racking into a secondary after all.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 02-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
mschaefer56
Recipes 

Bring your co2 with you to his house

Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
RensBerserker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can't bring your CO2 tank along for the ride? I don't know what size tank you have, but my 5# tank is fairly portable. My 20# tank, on the other hand...

In my experience, most of my kegs take a bit of pressure to seal properly. I can just see the keg slumping over in the car seat and leaking slowly for the duration of a 45 drive. From an oxygenation standpoint, it depends if you are planning to put a full 5-gal batch into a 5-gal keg. If so, the headspace should be minimal, and an overnight stay shouldn't really be problematic. If you are only filling the keg halfway though, there will be a whole lot more oxygen to slosh around with the beer during the drive, so it might taste like wet cardboard by the time it gets home to the kegerator.

Before I began kegging, I purged a few fermenters using dry ice. This might also be an option, (or just clean, sanitize, and purge before you go as someone else said) but I'm still wary of leaks. Just my $0.02.

Quick Reply