The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > leave it on???

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
woodspointbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ballston Spa
Posts: 3
Default leave it on???

Hey all---

I'm new to kegging and it seems everyone does it different. When I force carbonate (12 psi?) do I leave the gas on, or do I hit it with the gas and then turn it off and let it sit for 5 days? I have heard other faster ways as well, but I'm patient. I'm more concerned with whether or not I have to leave the gas on while it's carbonating, or if I shoot it with gas, and let it sit.
Thanks!!!

__________________
woodspointbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
arturo7's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 9,017
Liked 131 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

leave it on

__________________

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

arturo7 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,044
Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodspointbrewer View Post
Hey all---

I'm new to kegging and it seems everyone does it different. When I force carbonate (12 psi?) do I leave the gas on, or do I hit it with the gas and then turn it off and let it sit for 5 days? I have heard other faster ways as well, but I'm patient. I'm more concerned with whether or not I have to leave the gas on while it's carbonating, or if I shoot it with gas, and let it sit.
Thanks!!!
Leave the gas on. As the beer absorbs the co2, more will come from the tank into the keg so you need to have it on. If you're using 12 psi, that's fine, but it might take about 10 days at 40 degrees or so to get the correct carbonation.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
Poindexter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Poindexter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: interior Alaska
Posts: 1,210
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

If you are patient enough priming sugar is likely cheaper.

When I am force carbing I tend to hit it with about 40psi, turn the gas off, give it a couple hours, hit it again, wait a couple hours.

Then back it down to 20 psi, turn the gas off between hits about every eight to twelve hours for a couple days.

Then a couple days at 15 psi.

I tend to serve around 10 psi, once the beer has soaked up 15psi 3-4 times I set the gas to ten and leave it on the last few days.

Works for me any way.

__________________
Poindexter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
If you are patient enough priming sugar is likely cheaper.

When I am force carbing I tend to hit it with about 40psi, turn the gas off, give it a couple hours, hit it again, wait a couple hours.

Then back it down to 20 psi, turn the gas off between hits about every eight to twelve hours for a couple days.

Then a couple days at 15 psi.

I tend to serve around 10 psi, once the beer has soaked up 15psi 3-4 times I set the gas to ten and leave it on the last few days.

Works for me any way.
This makes no sense??? Why not leave it connected, then as the co2 absorbs into the beer the tank will supply more. It's the same thing without all the hooking and unhooking.
__________________
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,420
Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

I've found that 24-48 hours @ 30psi connected carbs my beer just fine. Very simple method. I usually taste @ 24 hours and most of the time leave it go for another day. 37F or so. No shaking, no on and off.

__________________
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
I've found that 24-48 hours @ 30psi connected carbs my beer just fine. Very simple method. I usually taste @ 24 hours and most of the time leave it go for another day. 37F or so. No shaking, no on and off.
This is what I do... 30psi for 30 hours, then drop it to serving pressure. It is fully carbed.

If you hit it with gas, then turn off the gas, it wont carb. It will need to absorb CO2, so if you turn it off, it wont, and will be flat.
__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rhoobarb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 3,573
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
This is what I do... 30psi for 30 hours, then drop it to serving pressure. It is fully carbed.

If you hit it with gas, then turn off the gas, it wont carb. It will need to absorb CO2, so if you turn it off, it wont, and will be flat.
Ditto. I set it for 30psi, let it sit for ~48 hrs., then purge and drop it down to serving pressure. I used to do the 'shake-the-keg' thing, but stopped long ago. Works like a champ!
__________________
Rhoobarb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
conpewter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: East Dundee, Illinois
Posts: 5,106
Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I leave it on. 12 PSI for a week normally carbs it up to the right level, the extra time to age is good anyway.

__________________

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

conpewter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Default

I guess most of my beers have been kegged for months by the time they hit the tap anyway, but if it were a NEW beer, Conpewter is right.

__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leave for a couple months, can I leave in secondary? ndhowlett Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 03-15-2009 10:05 PM
So just set and leave at 5 psi? mullimat Bottling/Kegging 4 04-15-2008 10:41 PM
Re-do or leave it be blueray General Techniques 6 05-08-2006 06:07 PM