Leaking Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dante42

Reaction score
So,I went to seal up my keg, and the top is leaking. This is only the second time I have used this one, so I am a little upset. I replaced the gasket, but no luck. It is leaking around the edges and the pressure release valve. What is there that I can do to save this keg? Anything?

you can try twisting the pressure release valve and make sure it's screwed in all the way

keg lube may help the seal better or you can try the thicker keg gaskets from williams brewing
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG-LID-SEALING-O-RING-P58.aspx
i don't even need to seal with kegs with 30psi anymore with these rings

a lot of kegs need to be sealed with 30psi or so to really secure the lid, esp if they have any deformities etc. if the relief valve is leaking it may not be letting you get a good seal under pressure

For the pressure relief valve, make sure it's properly tightened as suggested above. For the lid, you might need to fiddle with it a bit. Try turning it 180° and see if it seals that way. Keg lube should be used on all of your o-rings, and often makes a big difference in how easy it is to get the lid to seal. You can also use pliers/vice grips to bend the feet on the bail slightly so that they provide more pressure. The somewhat larger and softer "keg sealing" o-rings seem to work pretty well also.

I've had pressure relief valves that only leak at higher psi. If the spring gets worn out, you can buy the whole assembly. They're a little expensive - $11 - but it's worth the piece of mind that you're not draining a whole co2 tank while you're sleeping.

I think the first problem is that as soon as I start turning the PSI up to get a good seal, the pressure valve starts leaking. I looked at from teh bottom, and I don't think it is getting all the way down to seal. Of course I cannot get the thing off. Where is beer so good and yet seem so hard? :(

They can be kind of tricky to get off. I haven't found a good way, other than using vice grips, which usually ruins the plastic on the outside. You can also buy a new lid with a new valve for about $15-$25.

Is your valve the kind with the metal key ring on it or the plastic kind with the popup switch thingy?

Its a metal pop up thingy. Like you move it left or right to blow off the pressure. At the top of it's rotation the spring is pulled and air is released.

Sounds like a worn out spring. I've burned thru at least 2 full co2 bottles in the past 2 years because of the exact same thing. If you can't get the valve off the lid, I'd probably just order up a new lid.

Back