Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Leak! Please help!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Wheatmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Leak! Please help!

Im devastated, was just filling my 2nd keg ever (bought the 2 ball lock kit from midwest) with much excitement when I discovered my CO2 in hook up is leaking, badly. I took it off and hooked it up to my other keg and it seemed tight, so it's something on the gas valve on the keg itself. The O-ring? it looks to be in good shape...ordering another one will be a pain in the ass. Do they sell these at Lowe's, home depot, or the place I'll refill my tank? Worst thing is i've got my freshly brewed nectar sitting in the keg in the fridge not carbing...please help with any advice! Thanks in advance

__________________
Wheatmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
dark_avenger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Posts: 14
Likes Given: 2

Default

Where on the keg is it leaking from? From the lid or the gas post?

Is the lid O ring in good condition? How much pressure did you put on the keg to make it seal?

__________________
dark_avenger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 15,945
Liked 3200 Times on 3105 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Can you be more specific about the location of the leak? Have you found the leak? If not, take a spray bottle, fill it with star-san solution, spray every conenction down, and look for bubbles. By "gas valve" I'm assuming you're talking about the post:



Is that where it's leaking from, and if so is it leaking from underneath the post, or between the post and the quick disconnect? Is the post tightened down fully? It very well could be an o-ring, but there are five of them, the one for the lid, the one on each post that you can see when the QD isn't connected (see pic above), and the one underneath each post between the diptube and the keg.

__________________
Keezer Soze

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
JuanMoore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Wheatmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Can you be more specific about the location of the leak? Have you found the leak? If not, take a spray bottle, fill it with star-san solution, spray every conenction down, and look for bubbles. By "gas valve" I'm assuming you're talking about the post:



Is that where it's leaking from, and if so is it leaking from underneath the post, or between the post and the quick disconnect? Is the post tightened down fully? It very well could be an o-ring, but there are five of them, the one for the lid, the one on each post that you can see when the QD isn't connected (see pic above), and the one underneath each post between the diptube and the keg.
I'm not sure where exactly where it is on the plug, but it seems to be between the post and the quick disconnect. When I push down on it while its connected it helps but still leaks. I swapped O-rings and that made no difference, I also hooked up the disconnect to my other keg and it was fine. So it's something on the post and I dont think its the O-ring. I tightened the post as tight as she'll go. I took the post off, but didnt see the O ring between the dip tube and the keg...maybe I need to check that. Is it possible it's just a faulty post? There's some abrasion around the nipple(for lack of a better term) of the post itself..
__________________
Wheatmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Wheatmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I'ts coming from somewhere on the post down. I am not able to look at it right now, but last night I didnt see how to take the dip tune out to check that O ring that sits between it and the keg. I screwed the post off and saw the poppet, all looked fined. I'll have to take out the dip tube to see if I can find anything..

__________________
Wheatmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,238
Liked 4257 Times on 3102 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatmeister View Post
I'ts coming from somewhere on the post down. I am not able to look at it right now, but last night I didnt see how to take the dip tune out to check that O ring that sits between it and the keg. I screwed the post off and saw the poppet, all looked fined. I'll have to take out the dip tube to see if I can find anything..
You should have a short diptube down into the "in" post. Just lift that up, and there should be an o-ring between the opening of that diptube and the keg.

Did you try to take out the poppit? Sometimes that is where my keg leaks- right at that poppit. If you take that out, inspect that rubber o-ring and lube it, that might fix it right up.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Wheatmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You should have a short diptube down into the "in" post. Just lift that up, and there should be an o-ring between the opening of that diptube and the keg.

Did you try to take out the poppit? Sometimes that is where my keg leaks- right at that poppit. If you take that out, inspect that rubber o-ring and lube it, that might fix it right up.
I did take the poppit out, but didn't see any o-ring assoviated with it. It was just a spring on a triangular base with the nipple going up into the post. Are you referring to the rubber o-ring between the dip tube and the keg?

Also, I don't have keg lube. Is there another type of household lube that would work, nothing is coming to mind that wouldn't adversly effect the brew..
__________________
Wheatmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #8
Wheatmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Columbus
Posts: 140
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Is there any household liquid I could sub in for keg lube that won't potentially hurt the brew? I think that my leak is from a bad seal with the post o-ring/quick disconnect...also is there places to buy replacemento-rings at lowes/where refill co2 etc?

__________________
Wheatmeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do i have a co2 leak TacoGuthrie Bottling/Kegging 5 03-29-2011 04:29 PM
CO2 leak brewit2it Bottling/Kegging 14 03-15-2011 10:47 PM
Where's the leak? seasum Bottling/Kegging 5 02-18-2011 12:55 PM
Help another CO2 leak? forcabrew Bottling/Kegging 3 12-26-2010 06:01 PM
C02 Leak eric_pwb Bottling/Kegging 10 11-07-2009 01:00 AM