Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Laying down corked barleywine.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 06:09 AM   #1
jburkh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Laying down corked barleywine.

when putting corked bottles of barleywine down to condition/age do I need to lay them on their side like wine so the cork doesn't dry out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

wait wait wait.

did you put carbonated beer into wine bottles with corks? or did you put still beer in wine bottles with corks? or carbonated beer in champagne bottles with corks and wire cages?

if the first, i would recommend pouring it all back into your bottling bucket or keg, and doing one of the other options, or just plain beer bottles.

'regular' wine bottles aren't designed to hold pressure, and will either break teh bottles, or more likely push the corks out.

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
jburkh
Recipes 

I haven't bottled yet, but my plan is to cork using champagne corks and wires. I have a bunch of these 11.2 oz mexican soda bottles that are pretty cool and I think they'll work with the champagne corks. I am just not sure if the bottles need to be stored on their side to keep the cork hydrated, or if there are any negative aspects about storing beer in this manner, i just always see beer stored upright.

Quick Reply