The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Lager Bottle Ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
turfguy1969
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Lager Bottle Ferment

I have primed bottles of my lager which sat in primary and secondary for a total of 6 weeks in 50 degrees. I am wondering if the lager yeast must carbonate at 50 degrees or lower in bottles and how long will it take to carbonate and age properly.
thanks
Boston Lager with wyeth octoberfest lager yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
lefteye
Recipes 

With lager sitting so long on the secondary it will take a long time for the remaining yst to fully use up yr priming sugar. Dont go any lower (shock yst) and con sider that some German lager makers raise the temp of their frementing beer toward the last third of the ferm.
At 50 I'd say 3-4 weeks - but you'll have micro-bubbles!
Age @ same temp 3 times as long as long. a la' Dave Miller
Most of us dont age our beers long enough with Lager, face it, youre in for the long haul.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Bills Brew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've seen posts where it was recommended to condition all beers, even lagers, at room temperature for three weeks to get them carboated. Lagers are then put back into the lower temperature for a month or so to lager.

I've got a pilsner that has been in the primary for 4 weeks at 50 deg F, is almost done and will probably go into the secondary this weekend for 2 weeks still at 50 deg F. So, I was wondering what temp do I condition the bottles at. Will conditioning at room temp do anything to the flavor I was then going to put the bottles at around 45-50 deg F for as long as my basement room will hold that temperature.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You will be fine conditioning the bottles at either room temperature or primary fermentation temp. The yeast is pretty much done at that point and conditioning them at room temp should speed up the carbonation. I wouldn't expect any esters or fusels due to the higher temp since there is not much sugar for the yeast to ferment anyway.

Kai

Quick Reply