Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Knotty Pine and Cedar Log Keezer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default Knotty Pine and Cedar Log Keezer Build

I finally got my hands on a 7 cu. ft. GE chest freezer. I bought it from a couple on CL who only had it 3 months and decided that they didn't need it. I picked it up for $125 and they are about $100 more than that new!
I am attempting to build an oversided cabinet with casters and dressing it out with T&G knotty pine and cedar logs to match my bar decor. I want to build a collarless, coffin style Keezer. I really want to thank everyone who has take the time to post their pics of their keezers and to those who chronicled their builds from start to finish. I especially want to thank the likes of Jester, Brew Pastor, Jake The Hop Dog (Keith), Lilrascal, Clubbinaz, and Kegtoe to name a few who have made phenomenal keezers!

Attached is a couple of older pics of my bar. It is all done except drop ceiling at this point, so these pics. are a couple of weeks old. Here are the pics of the bar. Pics of my build so far will follow.

img_1927.jpg   img_1929.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK, here are a few shots of the freezer. It is in perfect shape, so I'm pretty excited with my find. I plan on making a 3 (possibly 4) tap system. Three 5 gallon ball lock kegs fit on the floor easily. After talking to a few people that have coverted the 7 cu. ft. GE, I guess 4 will fit, but it's a pretty tight squeeze. I really don't want to build a collar, so I'll most likely prep it for 4 taps and cram a 4th in or I may use a 3 1/2 gallon on the hump for rootbeer for the kids. I'm going to line the bottom with rubberized material that Keith (Jake the Hop Dog) did with his keezer. Thanks for the ideas Keith!

Here are the pics. of the freezer.

img_1962.jpg   img_1964.jpg   img_1965.jpg  

Old 02-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I got to work on framing the cabinet earlier today. I have been working crazy hours, but did manage to spend about 4 hours on it today. The first group of picturs are how I framed the base and installed the casters. I went with 175 lb. rated hard rubber, swivel casters.

I want to warn you in advance that I am not a master carpenter like some of the guys that I have mentioned. I am truly impressed with the craftmanship of some of the builds on HBT. Your not going to see a lot of mitering, dove tailing, routering, etc. on this build. I'm not using any fancy design software, I'm just winging as I go, like I did with the rest of the bar. Just rustic, easy to work with materials and milled logs to trim it out. Simple, easy, and not a lot of precision required.

Spent about $50 for the 2"x4" studs, screws, and 3/16" T&G knotty pine. Still haven't purchased the materials for the top.

Here's the base.

img_1966.jpg   img_1967.jpg   img_1968.jpg   img_1969.jpg  

Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 AM   #4
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

* subscribed *

-=jason=-

Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here are some pics. that I took as I was framing the oversized cabinet for the keezer. The 7 cf GE calls for 3" of space around all surfaces. Since this unit does not have cooling coils on the back like the Sunbeam that Lilrascal used, I wanted to create more than enough space around the outer skin of the freezer to prevent overheating. I PM'd several people who have used this unit and there hasn't seemed to be a problem with overheating as long as there is adequate space around the unit. I framed it so that there is a 5" airspace between the inner walls of the cabinet and the freezer walls. I then decided to leave the back completely open and vent all 3 sides of the cabinet to be safe. Here are pics of the framing.

img_1970.jpg   img_1971.jpg   img_1972.jpg   img_1973.jpg  

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 02-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I was also able to get the cabinet covered with the T&G knotty pine and installed all of the vents. The GE has the compressor in the lower right side of the unit with a large vent for cooling. I have also heard that heat build-up dissipates through the skin of the unit on all sides. I decided to put a 6" x 10" vent in the right side of the unit at the bottom, so that heat can escape and not get trapped in the cabinet. I then put a 3" x 10" vent on both the right and left side of the unit, but higher on the cabinet to allow any rising heat from the skin of the unit to escape from the cabinet. For these three vents, I used cheap white wall vents from HD ($15 for all 3). I decided to place a 3" x 12" vent in the front of the cabinet as well to allow heat to escape. For the front vent, I used a brushed nickel vent ($12), so it will match the SS drip pan and faucets when complete. I probably went waaaaay overboard with the venting, but what the hell. Better to be safe than sorry. Here are some pics. Is it possible for this thing to overheat? Any feedback would be great. I really don't want to install fans if I don't have to.

img_1976.jpg   img_1978.jpg   img_1979.jpg   img_1980.jpg  

Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here are some pics with the freezer slid into the cabinet. It fit like a glove and I am pleased with the progress that I made today. I am heading to my parents this weekend to get more red cedar logs to mill for trims to match the bar. My dad has a lot of red cedar trees that have fallen over, uprooted, or simply died while standing. All of the logs used in my projects (see My Basement Bar Build) were harvested off of his property. Once I have the log corner trims in place, then I'll move onto the top. I'm doing a coffin, so I need to start planning it out.

img_1981.jpg   img_1982.jpg   img_1983.jpg   img_1985.jpg  

Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Finally...the last couple of pics for the day. Just a shot from the top and from the back. Once the top is completed and I'm ready to start using this thing, I'll put a brace across the back to prevent the unit from sliding. I'm open to any and all feedback and suggestions at this point. Also, I still need to purchase either a 3 or 4 tap system, so anyone that has leads on the best place, with the best prices to purchase these components, please let me know. Thanks for following my thread so far. I'll update it periodically as I progress with the build.

img_1986.jpg   img_1984.jpg  

Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #9
stp
Recipes 

Awesome! I'm excited to see the progess.
And even though you claim to have no skills, you got a heck of a lot more done in 4 hours than I ever would have. Congrats on the great start!

Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #10
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks STP! I absolutely love building things, but I just don't have any custom cabinetry or trim carpentry experience (or the tools for that matter). Thankfully with the rustic lodge decor that I am going for in my basement, precision isn't crucial. As you can see by the pics, I simply roughed the cabinet in and then covered it with knotty pine and popped a few vents in. When you look at the work that many of the others on HBT have done, like building custom, recessed panels for their cabinets, dove tail joints, fancy routering, etc., that stuff is waaaaaaay harder than what I'm doing. The hardest part of this project is going to be milling corner log trims on a table saw. Thanks again for the compliment. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
Awesome! I'm excited to see the progess.
And even though you claim to have no skills, you got a heck of a lot more done in 4 hours than I ever would have. Congrats on the great start!

Quick Reply