Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegs from Midwest - replaced o-rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Kegs from Midwest - replaced o-rings?

I received three kegs from Midwest today. They advertise their reconditioned kegs as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Supplies
5 Gallon Ball Lock Reconditioned Cornelius Keg: These kegs have been cleaned with a caustic soda rinse. These kegs have been pressure tested and rings replaced before leaving our store. 25" Tall x 8" diameter - 26" tall with the disconnects. Note: Caustic cleaner does have a sweet smell to it - similar to sprite or 7 up. The insides of these kegs are in great shape, but you may need to give the outside a little love.
When I pulled the dip tubes, none of the o-rings appear to have been replaced. For example:

Yes, that o-ring is actually torn. The post o-rings look replaced, but at least one has a chunk missing:

So what do you think? Am I wrong to expect new o-rings? I was hoping to use these this week/weekend and now I have to find replacement o-rings somewhere. My LHBS is 45+ minutes away and useless as...well, you get the idea.

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

call midwest, if they don't offer to send you free ones, buy them at mcmaster. abuot $20 for a long-time supply and they'll show up the next day (most places)

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:41 AM   #3
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just got 3 kegs from midwest and the o-rings were perfect. The kegs were even pressurized upon arrival (likely due to elevation change).

I would contact them and show them the pictures you posted. They should give you a full set of o-rings for that.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Take those dip tubes to Lowe's You can buy o-rings there for pennies.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Take those dip tubes to Lowe's You can buy o-rings there for pennies.
That's not the point. The point is I was led to believe the kegs I purchased would have new o-rings on them and they don't. I don't appreciate that.

Maybe I'm getting cranky in my old age, but when I pay money for something, I expect to get what I'm told I'm going to get. Yeah, new o-rings are pennies, but what about my time and gas to drive the 25 minutes each way to Lowe's? I would have been just as happy paying a couple dollars extra somewhere else to get properly reconditioned kegs.

Either way, I've sent them an email about it. I'll let y'all know what they say.

-Joe

Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
nostalgia
Recipes 

Sorry BM, I realize you were responding to the "now I have to find o-rings" part of my post.

As I said, I'm pretty cranky. I was in a crap mood before the kegs came in and finding busted up o-rings didn't help much.

-Joe

Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 AM   #7
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Midwest is pretty much my exclusive online store. One time they sent me a galon jug that had broken during shipping. I called them up and 2 days later they send me a brand new one. I have alos bought two kegs and a co2 tank from them and all of them were fine...after i tightened some screws tighter.

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Call them. My wife bought my whole keg set-up from them. When it arrived, the low-side gauge on the reg assembly was damaged. They sent an entire new regulator assembly express delivery so I could have it hooked up by the weekend. Good guys.

-Todd

Old 09-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If it was advertised as reconditioned, I would bitch about it and have them send O-ring kits. To me reconditioned means, cleaned of syrup residue, replace orings, verify working poppets and pressure relief seals, and check that they hold pressure.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #10
nostalgia
Recipes 

Received an email reply from Midwest today.

They apologized, explaining they were behind in their keg rebuilds and had hired some new help who apparently dropped the ball.

They thanked me for the head's up on the QC and are sending me 3 sets of o-rings.

That's the kind of response to a customer issue that builds loyal customers.

-Joe

Quick Reply