Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegs Cool and warm

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
tgrier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Kegs Cool and warm

I am getting ahead myself with the number of beers I can make and cornys I have..

I have 6 cornys and I only have room for 2 in my kegorator.

How much "damage" or spoilage would occur if I deciede to drink a different beer and rotate the kegs in and out of the kegorator?

I am working on getting more frig space.. but all in good time...
T

T Grier
Austin Texas

My Brew Status Page -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

well as long as you have properly purged any air from the keg than you don't have to worry about oxidation, but moving around a lot will disturb anything that's settled on the bottom, and warming and cooling a few times can't be good. i think you'll just have to drink more!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I don't see any problem with it. I'm not sure I've seen any real evidence that warming and cooling cycles will really negatively affect beer, so I would not worry about that unless someone has some real evidence, rather than just speculation.

Bear in mind the energy costs however. Cooling a warm keg down to fridge temp takes quite a bit of energy, on top of what it already takes to keep it cold once it's chilled. I don't know exactly how much extra energy it takes, so it's hard to say if it's going to add much to your electric bill, but it's something to think about.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Not a problem. I kept most of my beer in a conditioning cabinet & rotated kegs. Now the cabinet is connected to the keezer, so I can change beers by moving connectors.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-24-2007, 02:50 AM   #5
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
I don't see any problem with it. I'm not sure I've seen any real evidence that warming and cooling cycles will really negatively affect beer, so I would not worry about that unless someone has some real evidence, rather than just speculation.
Don't know about homebrew, but hot-cold cycling will make a BMC taste worse. It's so prominent a taste that if some BMC in a party tub full of gets missed at cleanup and warms to room temp I put it into the trash instead of the fridge.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle
Don't know about homebrew, but hot-cold cycling will make a BMC taste worse. It's so prominent a taste that if some BMC in a party tub full of gets missed at cleanup and warms to room temp I put it into the trash instead of the fridge.
Is that because they're lagers? I was wondering if that had something to do with BMC tasting so much worse than it does at the plant.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Quick Reply