The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Are Kegs, CO2 tanks, safe around small children?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
brewingmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nothing is safe around women and children...you're fuct.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
Sounds like the voice of experience to me.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
If my O2 bottle is any judge, a 5# CO2 tank contains about 20 cubic feet of gas (when released). That's a LOT of CO2 into an 800 square foot apartment.
For CO2, I believe it's about 40 cubic feet at 1 atm, but whatever the correct answer, it's about what you say. An 8 foot by 800 square foot apartment has 6400 cubic feet (or a bit less) of air. Assuming efficient mixing and all the doors being open, that'd be an increase in concentration of about 0.6%. That's an order of magnitude higher than typical concentration, but according to this site, it's only slightly above the OSHA safety limit (0.5%) and well below the short-term exposure limit (1.5%). Based on the information there, you probably won't notice anything (or suffer any harm) unless you're exposed for a long time at that level.

This estimate would have to be off by an order of magnitude or so before there's serious short term danger. So there is certainly a risk, but I think it's relatively small (though higher than my earlier guess). Do make sure that your storage area has good ventilation at all times, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyB View Post
And even with scuba tanks (3000 psi) you would have to be pretty determined to bust off the valve. I'm guessing that CO2 valves are made of brass like scuba tank valves and they tend to bend instead of break.
For the price of a strap to keep it upright, I'd rather not test that.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
GunnyB
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Of course use a strap. I used to instruct scuba and students would drop a tank from time to time with no ill outcomes. It was fun to tell students that they had a tank of compressed air on their backs containing enough kinetic energy to lift a locomotive off its tracks. Man, their eyes got so big...then we went and looked at the wonders of the ocean. And my wife says I'm not a romantic...pfft

Old 12-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
ShaLaH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it everybody. Wish me luck as I prepare my rebuttal to convince her...

Primary:
none :(

Secondary:
not usually

Bottled:
"Paul Revere" American Pale Ale
Cousin Swillbags's Chocolate Stout
DFH 60 Min IPA Clone
TBD American Brown Ale
"Old Ridiculer" Olde English Strong ESB

Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
For CO2, I believe it's about 40 cubic feet at 1 atm, but whatever the correct answer, it's about what you say. An 8 foot by 800 square foot apartment has 6400 cubic feet (or a bit less) of air. Assuming efficient mixing and all the doors being open, that'd be an increase in concentration of about 0.6%. That's an order of magnitude higher than typical concentration, but according to this site, it's only slightly above the OSHA safety limit (0.5%) and well below the short-term exposure limit (1.5%). Based on the information there, you probably won't notice anything (or suffer any harm) unless you're exposed for a long time at that level.

This estimate would have to be off by an order of magnitude or so before there's serious short term danger. So there is certainly a risk, but I think it's relatively small (though higher than my earlier guess). Do make sure that your storage area has good ventilation at all times, for sure!
Just keep in mind, the concentration will be much higher in the room the CO2 tank is in. Unless the apartment is loft style, with no walls that is. So while you might get none in some areas/rooms, you could have several times more where the tank actually is.

Just saying, better to secure it than not. Also better to not let your place get over about 120F come summer time. I'm sure neither will be an issue. You could point out that if it's hot enough for the safety to trigger, none of you will actually be home at that time.

Quote:
For the price of a strap to keep it upright, I'd rather not test that.
Exactery!

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #27
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Oh, yes. I completely agree. Like any piece of equipment, always treat a pressurized gas tank with due respect and take precautions to avoid accidents. I hope no one interprets my post as suggesting otherwise.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #28
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingmeister View Post
Get rid of kids?.............problem solved!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

I did HVAC for 15 years, we used co2 all the time. I'd pick up five 20lb tanks, throw them in the back of the truck on the hottest of days. To bust the valve off the tank something heavy would have to hit it.

Quick Reply