Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegs - Chilling then Removing to Room Temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Kegs - Chilling then Removing to Room Temp?

I have two situations in which I need to put kegs in a cool freezer and then remove them to a warm room. Don't know if this will have any consequences.

Situation A: My freezer fits three kegs and currently HAS three kegs. I will be kegging two more ales this weekend and want to put them on gas to get them carbed up and ready for visitors in two weeks. That means I have to remove two kegs that are already carbed and on gas in order to make room for the teo new ones. I will have to leave them on gas at room temperature while the 2 new beers carb. Will this be a problem for the beers already cooled and carbed to be at room temp?

Situation B: Similarly, I want to brew two lagers and chill them (probably not on CO2 to carb) but I won't know when I'll be able to serve them (the guests will visit later this year, date unknown.) So I will have to remove them from the freezer to make way for other fermenting beer. Is it a problem to chill and then leave at room temp?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I do it all of the time. Doesn't really seem to be a problem to me.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
cuart682
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have taken many chilled kegs and then let them sit at room temp with no problems. I would recommend trying to keep the warmed kegs at a stable room temp I one or two kegs go bad that I had in my garage because of the huge temperature swings at temps up in the 90's.

Quick Reply