The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging and the wife...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
HappyHeadBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegging and the wife...

So, I've been homebrewing for some time, mostly extract though I've recently built and plan to soon use a cooler-mashtun (batch sparge). My buddy and I are also planning on going in together on a kegerator build. My wife, who isn't a consumer of alcoholic beverages, made a comment recently that she's concerned having a keg around will only serve to increase the amount of beer consumed by those at my house, as well as contribute to the "disease" of alcoholism for those who come over who really do have a problem.

So here's my question to those of you who went from bottling to kegging: have you noticed any change in your consumption of beer? And does it seem the focus when you have people over has shifted to strictly being about the kegerator and your beer?

I'm very curious. Thanks!

Last edited by HappyHeadBrew; 02-15-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My wife likes it, because there aren't bottles laying around. I have just gotten into kegging, and I have to say that it is a lot easier to pull a pint. Last night I had 3 before I knew it.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Old 02-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
TheBaconator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I generally drink about the same since switching to a kegerator. With a kegerator I can have as much or as little as I want. E.g. in 12 or 22 ounce bottles i have to have 12 or 22 ounces. Some times I want a beer and a half, I still have to open two. With a kegerator I can have a 6 ounce beer, a 12 ounce beer, maybe two 8 ounce beers. I can just pull out an ounce to check the carbonation levels. I've noticed alot more flexibility. I didn't generally let my friends drink all my beer before it was kegged and I don't now.

The catch to a kegerator is that it makes serving beer easier but you can't make it any faster. So generally I've seen consumption stay about the same. I do drink less store bought beer which is easy on the wallet and my taste buds.

If you have alcoholic friends that can't control themselves around beer they probably shouldn't be around it at all, and kegs or bottles are bad news.

Also on the focus of guests being the kegerator, its like any other household appliance. You get a new one and it's cool for folks to stare at and ooh and ahh over for a moment but it wears off.

The bottom line is its a different way to store and serve your homebrew, but if you or your friends change the way you act around it, thats on you and your friends.

Primary: Pecan Sandy Porter
Secondary:
Barrel: a ton of brett
Tap 1: Belgian Saison
Tap 2: American Porter

Next in line: Belgian Blonde

Old 02-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 23 Posts

+1 on the flexibility.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
rsklhm10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+2 on the flexibility. Since I began kegging I have not noticed a difference in my consumption. To be honest it might have dropped some based on the reasoning Thebaconator provided with regard to pouring the amount you would like. I will admit that on occasions friends will start to take advantage, as there is less to walking into my office and pouring a pint than dealing with bottles. My advice to this would be to place your keezer/kegerator in a location that you can close off and keep others away if need be.

My E-build:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ano...-build-267579/

Old 02-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The first month, yeah.... You'll drink more. Because it's new, exciting, and easy. But then you should fall back into your previous habits.

And I agree with some of the others here in that maybe you'll drink less. One trick I did was to always have 9 ounce plastic cups next to the taps. I go down there and see glass pints and mugs (that I'll have to wash) and usually choose the smaller plastic throwaway cup. So one can say that I reduced my average beer from 12 oz to 9 oz. I even find myself asking for half-pints at breweries as well now. Something as simple as smaller cups might appease the wife.

Baconator, I disagree with not making it faster... I can go grain to glass in 2 weeks now (force-carbing overnight) instead of 5-6 weeks including bottle conditioning. Oooooh, BUT - If you only have 2 taps, you can only drink two at a time... If you have 4 varieties of bottles, who's to stop you from opening them?

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
TheBaconator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Baconator, I disagree with not making it faster... I can go grain to glass in 2 weeks now (force-carbing overnight) instead of 5-6 weeks including bottle conditioning.
As far as time goes I meant the actual brewing process rather than grain to glass. E.g. you still have to mash for an hour, boil for an hour, chill your grains and ferment. I don't have trouble finding an extra two weeks for my beer to sit and me not touch it, its the 4-5 hours for brew day that mess with the scheduling. I generally can come up with that once a month, kegging doesn't mean I can brew more batches in a month.

Secondary:

Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaconator View Post
As far as time goes I meant the actual brewing process rather than grain to glass. E.g. you still have to mash for an hour, boil for an hour, chill your grains and ferment. I don't have trouble finding an extra two weeks for my beer to sit and me not touch it, its the 4-5 hours for brew day that mess with the scheduling. I generally can come up with that once a month, kegging doesn't mean I can brew more batches in a month.
Ahhhh, gotcha...

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
TheBaconator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree about the quick carbonating too, that's a definite plus.

Secondary:

Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I actually drink less. As was mentioned above, instead of drinking whole pints all of the time, I tend to have a half-glass every-so-often. Sometimes a keg sits so long I have to fill up a growler and give it to someone just to help empty the keg faster.

Quick Reply