Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > kegging vs. bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #1
bklynBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default kegging vs. bottling

I would like to get some opinions on kegging compared to bottling. Does force carbonating change the final taste of the beer? If u bottle will it achieve an overall better flavor? If you keg i am guessing u do at the same time u would bottle then u force carbonate it then chill and it is ready to serve? Please let me know if this is right. Thanks alot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2005, 12:43 AM   #2
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynBrew
I would like to get some opinions on kegging compared to bottling. Does force carbonating change the final taste of the beer? If u bottle will it achieve an overall better flavor? If you keg i am guessing u do at the same time u would bottle then u force carbonate it then chill and it is ready to serve? Please let me know if this is right. Thanks alot
CO2 is CO2. The beer doesn't care or know where that CO2 comes from - bottle or yeast. It doesn't change the flavor as CO2 is CO2!

As for how to force carbonate, you need to chill it prior to starting the carbonation process. CO2 aborbs into a cold solution faster and at a lower pressure than into a warm solution.

So chill the beer down, hook up your CO2, consult the charts for the correct pressure to get the carbonation profile you want, set that pressure, then wait about five to seven days for the process to finish.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

You keg at the same time point as bottling and it still takes the same amount of time to age. I haven't noticed any difference in flavors with homebrew.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-23-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
bklynBrew
Recipes 

ok so u still have to let it age a couple of weeks before chilling and drinking?

Old 12-23-2005, 03:11 AM   #5
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

nope. i keg my brews when i would bottle, chill to as close to 30-32 degrees as possible, force carb, and enjoy in 2-3 days.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 12-23-2005, 04:20 AM   #6
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That's never made sense to me. It always seems like your beers get a lot better after aging for a few weeks if bottle carbonating. It doesn't seem like you could just add CO2 and make it taste good in 3 days.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 12-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #7
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybrew
That's never made sense to me. It always seems like your beers get a lot better after aging for a few weeks if bottle carbonating. It doesn't seem like you could just add CO2 and make it taste good in 3 days.
Your right that didnt make any sense, but let me try and make sense of it all. When kegging you force co2 and carbonate your beer tadaa your done and the taste will be the same as when you kegged it. Now when you bottle, (people will argue back and forth about this for days, but my taste buds dont fail me) you prime with either the corn sugar or the drops and the beer naturally carbonates dropping out more yeast. This is where the change occurs in the flavor profile because you have sediment and yeast that was there in the keg, but not no more in the bottle. Ive experimented with a beer and a keg and the flavor profile is diffrent

Old 12-23-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcruz
Your right that didnt make any sense, but let me try and make sense of it all. When kegging you force co2 and carbonate your beer tadaa your done and the taste will be the same as when you kegged it. Now when you bottle, (people will argue back and forth about this for days, but my taste buds dont fail me) you prime with either the corn sugar or the drops and the beer naturally carbonates dropping out more yeast. This is where the change occurs in the flavor profile because you have sediment and yeast that was there in the keg, but not no more in the bottle. Ive experimented with a beer and a keg and the flavor profile is diffrent
to each his own, but we've done some side by sides, almost the exact same recipe. and the kegged beer almost won hands down.

what's not to understand? mine sit in secondary for 10-14 days (average ale) then i chill it, rack to the keg, force carbonate, and enjoy in 48 hours. easy as pie. i've never had someone NOT come back for the 3rd and 4th round

plus i find it alot more enjoyable not cleaning and sanitizing 50 bottles, capping, and waiting for 2 weeks to see if it's carb'd right. but, that's just me and a couple hundred thousand other homebrewers.......

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 12-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
plus i find it alot more enjoyable not cleaning and sanitizing 50 bottles, capping, and waiting for 2 weeks to see if it's carb'd right. but, that's just me and a couple hundred thousand other homebrewers.......
That is exactly why I went to kegging. It was too much to clean, sanitize, fill, and cap all the bottles (12oz). I have not found a taste difference between the two. I also let my beers sit in the secondary for a while or until I have the flavor that I am looking for.
Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -
Bottles
-
-

---------------------------------------------------

Old 12-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #10
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'm inheriting some kegging equipment from me cousin mic, he's given up on the homebrewing and want's to pass the stuff on... never been used. all i need is some co2 or maybe nitrogen...

i'll be chattin you keggers up for advice soon enough

i'm still gonna bottle stuff though, something about beer in a bottle a year later

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply