Kegging A Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
I'm in the process of converting a fridge to a kegerator and have a Stout ready to be kegged. But I've been reading that Stouts should be a blend of CO2 & Nitrogen, not CO only. Any experiences / thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had stouts in my brewing rotation for over a decade but always served them using straight CO2. I only just added a nitro setup this winter, and while I'm a bit smitten with the nitro if I had never switched I'd still be pretty happy about the stout...

Cheers!

If you want the full 'show' and the thin, creamy, persistent head then nitrogen is required. Lots of people have made lots of stouts and lots of people have consumed them without nitrogen, however. It is a bit of a PITA as a 5 pound CO2 bottle sized bottle of mix will only push a couple of (full sized) kegs and the alternative is a blender and separate N2 bottles.

as others have stated, you don't need beer gas to serve a stout, I run everything through CO2 since I don't have an N2/CO2 gas setup (yet).

However I had an imperial ale somewhere local that was served on Nitro and it was amazing. Nitro (aka beer gas, N2, N2/CO2, Mix) gives you that thick creamy head ala Guinness.

Stouts on nitro/beer gas are nice, but they will work just fine on good ol' CO2. It just won't have as much of that smooth, creamy mouthfeel, or that cool cascading effect in the glass.

All of my stouts on CO2 have been wonderful. A nitro setup would be nice, but right now it's just not in the cards for me.

"This is your stout on CO2. Any questions?"

Cheers! ;)

ab_sep_25_2011_01.jpg

Back