Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging soda?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleFisted View Post
1/4 inch hose really not sure on the shank...I just bought it at a homebrew store. Can I get a shank elbow that has a bigger radius that way itll fit on my hose better?
I think if you're using 1/4" line you'll need it to be even longer- like maybe 50 feet? for soda. My 25 feet on the line is 3/16" line. 1/4" will have less resistance and therefore need way more line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 AM   #22
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

If I were to guess, I would say you maybe have a 3/16 inch shank? (wow, I feel for you man...)
What type of kegging setup do you have?
I'm assuming by the questions you are asking, that you have actual taps with drilled holes through your fridge. Does your shank (actually, its called a nipple, the shank is the piece that is normally inserted through a hole in the fridge and what the faucet attaches to) detach from the (actual) shank?

The nipples may be available in different sized to accommodate your needs, though, it may be easier to go with smaller line. Maybe use 25 or so feet of 3/16 inch inside diameter line?
My 1/4 inch line fits pretty snug on my nipples (wow....) and I probably don't really need clamps to hold it, but I still use them. I can imagine you would want the same.
I would probably take a ruler, or a micrometer if you have one, and measure the diameter of the nipple before buying more line, just to make sure it's going to fit.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #23
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I think if you're using 1/4" line you'll need it to be even longer- like maybe 50 feet? for soda. My 25 feet on the line is 3/16" line. 1/4" will have less resistance and therefore need way more line.
I probably should have mentioned it before, but yes, I would go with longer line than 25 feet for 1/4 inch. I do have 25 feet at 1/4 inch inside diameter, but it still dispenses pretty quick, and usually the first pour is quite a bit of foam. If I change it, I probably would go with at least 40 feet, maybe even the 50 feet as Yooper mentioned.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
DoubleFisted
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan

I probably should have mentioned it before, but yes, I would go with longer line than 25 feet for 1/4 inch. I do have 25 feet at 1/4 inch inside diameter, but it still dispenses pretty quick, and usually the first pour is quite a bit of foam. If I change it, I probably would go with at least 40 feet, maybe even the 50 feet as Yooper mentioned.
I think I will get 3/16 inch line. I have a commercial rated kegerator and added a new hole to my tower and bought a new shank. Can I go to a hardware store to get the new line ? I really don't want to pay for shipping of one item.

Cheers!

Brew Master Alderin
DoubleFisted Brew

Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 822

Quote:
I think I will get 3/16 inch line. I have a commercial rated kegerator and added a new hole to my tower and bought a new shank. Can I go to a hardware store to get the new line ? I really don't want to pay for shipping of one item.
I've never seen it locally, but I know McMaster Carr has this rigid stuff that I've used for soda that works well! It was $.15 cents a foot, and the shipping was about $6 or so. I bought 50 feet of it. I can't remember which one at the moment, but I know it's posted on the forum.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #26
FrewBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I personally get all of my liquid and air lines from the hardware store and never have a problem. I just clean them first with BLC and then sanitize with iodophor.

Primary: 5 gal. Stout
Secondary: 10 gal. Belgian Witbier
On tap: IPA
Ready to brew: 10 gal. Fat Tire clone

Relax, don't worry, Have a Frew Brew

Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
scsi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I've never seen it locally, but I know McMaster Carr has this rigid stuff that I've used for soda that works well! It was $.15 cents a foot, and the shipping was about $6 or so. I bought 50 feet of it. I can't remember which one at the moment, but I know it's posted on the forum.
This is the stuff I got from McMaster-Carr. I wound up cutting it too small, so I need to order more:

5384K691 Moisture-Resistant Polyethylene Vacuum Tubing, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" Wall, Translucent White, 50' L

It's .34/foot. Im sure there's a cheaper one on there somewhere.

Primary: Orange Honey Wheat, Texas Bock, ESB
Secondary: Oktoberfest
On Tap: Chocolate Milk Stout, Blond Ale, Texas Bock, Blueberry Muffin, Hefeweizen, Irish Red Ale, California Common, Dr Pepper

Quick Reply