Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegging Red Bull at $0.14 per 12 oz can

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #101
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My buddy has a soda stream and uses it every day. He also used to work at a soda company so he can get actually ingredients to make soda instead of the syrups. I have tried a few of the soda stream flavors and they were pretty good. The Dr Pepper is a good one.

I was talking to him about making a keg of diet tonic water and adding gin to make gin and tonics on tap lol We might try this or rum and coke using his soda stream first. I have also thought about sangria on tap. The options are endless lol

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #102
mychalg9
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The bar I used to frequent when I was in my mid-20's had Red Bull (or a knockoff) on their tap-gun. I wonder if thats why they could get away with selling $3 Jager Bombs so often

Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #103
ronllave
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any tips on force carbing the energy drink mix? I'm going to make a 3 gallon batch in my 5 gallon corny and hook up to CO2. I was thinking of setting at 30 psi, shaking for a few minutes and leaving overnight. Then dial down to serving pressure the next day. Will this method over-carb it? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #104
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronllave View Post
Any tips on force carbing the energy drink mix? I'm going to make a 3 gallon batch in my 5 gallon corny and hook up to CO2. I was thinking of setting at 30 psi, shaking for a few minutes and leaving overnight. Then dial down to serving pressure the next day. Will this method over-carb it? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
This is what I am doing right now. Have a 2-liter sitting in the kegerator at 30 psi. I doubt it will overcarb it, since most sodas are served at around 20-30 psi to begin with. Real Red Bull is awfully carbonated, I would like it with a little less carbonic bite to it.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?
ronllave Likes This 
Old 08-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #105
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronllave View Post
When I made mine, the water was already cold, but a just put it on 35lbs and shook the **** out of it for a couple minutes and then set it at like 10 psi and called it done.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #106
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Coke Zero is pretty much dead-on.
Diet Mountain Dew, not so much.
I really want to find the tonic water syrup.

As another option, I keep a keg of sparkling water at all times. I pour the water, then add the mix in the glass. Much easier to clean and you don't have to worry about foam and stickiness issues issues that can come up with dispensing soda. You can also pre-mix in 2L bottles and store in the fridge.

I treat my tap water with 1/8tsp potassium metabisulfite and let it stand overnight. Otherwise, it is like drinking a carbonated swimming pool.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 08-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #107
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I plan on making this tonight in the extra keg. Have any of you used a keg for beer after having this product in it? Did you have to replace your seals, beer lines, etc.?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #108
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I plan on making this tonight in the extra keg. Have any of you used a keg for beer after having this product in it? Did you have to replace your seals, beer lines, etc.?
Havent actually tried it with a full keg yet, but my 2 liter bottle reeked of redbull after rinsing it a couple times. As with other soda products, I think dedicated lines and kegs (or replacing orings) is a must for this stuff.

I plan to get a secondary reg, and having a seperate soda/seltzer water tap line in the bar set at 25-30 psi. At those pressures you need alot more beverage line anyhow, I figure its a good idea to keep it all seperate. This will all be sent to a picnic tap that will be snaked through a hole in the top of the bar/underbar kegerator for now.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #109
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the original post! SWMBO is nuts about red bull, we buy cases from Costco. Even then, it's too dang expensive. A couple things:

One of these doesn't make make 5 gallons, it's a little over 3 gallons. So I bought 2, and plan on combining them to put in a 5 gallon keg. The small amount of leftovers can go toward the next batch or something.

Also, how are the sugar free and the regular energy drinks different? It looks like the regular one doesn't have sugar, and uses Splenda. Anybody have an idea?

Here's a link to BBB for the regular energy mix that explains the Splenda thing:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...?sku=17345605&

UPDATE: Turns out BBB is a liar. Looking at the soda stream website, the regular has sucrose (standard sugar) and the diet energy has sucralose (Splenda).

Old 10-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #110
beesy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Fyi - a full corny keg of soda stream red bull premixed with vodka at a wedding is a BIG hit. Mine turned out really well - many comments that is was no difference between it and real red bull and vodka.

Quick Reply