New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > kegging questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
DrunkenSailor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default kegging questions

I am new to homebrewing and have my first "batch" ready for bottling/kegging. I have a cornelius keg and want to keg this batch. Question is how best to carbonate? I have read about using corn sugar, as in bottling and have been told to use CO2? Which is preferred? Also should I siphon the beer into the keg and let sit in the fridge to chill first or carbonate right away? last question (for now)...What temp should I keep my fridge at for storing the keg? My normal beer fridge is usually around 33-35 f.
Thanks for any advice or info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Use corn sugar if you need to keep the keg out of the fridge for a couple weeks, force carb using Co2 if you can get it in the fridge. Your temps are fine. You can put the gas on the keg as soon as you put it in the fridge, it doesn't have to be cold first but it won't really start absorbing co2 until the temp drops.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
DrunkenSailor

Recipes 

Thanks.
What is the best method of force carbing? I read to just pressurize the keg with co2 and let set. Also was told to pressuruze the tank with 30-35 psi and then vent to get all the air out and then pressurize through the outlet to force carb???

Old 08-06-2007, 02:20 AM   #4
Hemi

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its best to force carbonate at about 12-14 psi and let sit for a week or so however you can speed carbonate by bringing it up to 35-40 psi for a few days. The only problem with doing this is it is hard to control how much co2 gets absorbed within the beer and makes it hard to emulate as carbonation adds to the profile of the beer. It is very easy to over carbonate by using this method.

On Tap: EdWort's Apfelwein #8, Starlight Cyser, Flat Ass Tired v1.2, Flast Ass Tired v1.2

Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I've never understood why anyone would want to use corn sugar to carbonate kegged beer. Why not use the CO2 that you already have? Unless you don't have a way to chill the beer down that is. The beer will absorb more CO2 if it is cold. I usually keep my secondaries in the fridge for a day or so to chill the beer before I keg it.
I keep all of my beers at about 38 degrees. I've had very good luck with them clarifying and the beer seems to store quite well. I can always warm a keg up a bit if I want to serve it warmer.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 08-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

A good reason would be if you have a 2-keg fridge and like to age/carb your kegs outside the fridge.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #7
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ifyou can get it in the fridge, put gas on it at the above stated 12-14 lbs, and wait.

Your beer needs more time to age to taste its best anyways.

If you force carb at a higher pressure, you will just be temted to drink it before it's ready (plus it's a royal PITA to get proper carbonation as earlier mentiontioned).

Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
DrunkenSailor

Recipes 

Thanks for all the input. I have the CO2 system to use, so I will put it in the fridge with the CO2 on at 12-14 psi and wait. I am trying to get a good beer not a FAST beer! I can wait.
Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
Ifyou can get it in the fridge, put gas on it at the above stated 12-14 lbs, and wait.

Your beer needs more time to age to taste its best anyways.

If you force carb at a higher pressure, you will just be temted to drink it before it's ready (plus it's a royal PITA to get proper carbonation as earlier mentiontioned).

I thought I would expand on Sea's comments.

To have good beer. I am assuming that you are making ale.

Most beer needs at least a month to condition. High alcohol beer even longer.

So 1 week in the primary, 1 week in the secondary, and then a month of conditioning. 6 weeks total minimum.

You can force carbonate your beer, but you'll have carbonated green beer.
(not green in color green as in not ripe)

Also putting your green beer in the fridge straight out of the secondary will retard the conditioning process. It needs to age at the fermentation temp for that month.

Otherwise your beer won't be anywhere near as good as it could be.

With ale the fridge is for storage after the beer has been properly conditioned.

Last edited by abracadabra; 08-06-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I agree and I've been guilty of this a lot recently. I typically keg right after the beer clears up which in the case of my last batch was exactly 2 weeks after brewing. Once it's in the keg, I put it in the kegerator and put the CO2 on it. I wonder how much quality I'm giving up on this one. You typically see people refering to "conditioning" and "cold conditioning". Are these really two different things? I do doubt that ale yeasts will do much of anything at 40F. My impression of conditioning is that it leaves the remaining viable yeast alone to clean up the fusels etc. The problem I have with this logic is that many of my beers still get better over time while they're chilled and carbed so....

Last edited by Bobby_M; 08-06-2007 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply